Green battled through ‘dead leg’
|09.17.09 at 12:25 am ET|
Talking after the Red Sox’ 9-8 win over the Angels, Wednesday night at Fenway Park, Nick Green said he was dealing with a painful issue with his right leg when batting with the bases loaded, two outs and the Sox down by a run in the ninth inning. Green would walk on a 3-2 fastball from Angels reliever Brian Fuentes, saying that he could barely get down to first first base his leg was hurting him so badly.
“I didn’t feel right,” he said. “That’s for sure.” Green called his ailment a “dead leg,” which he first started feeling when waking up Monday. “I don’t know what it is, it feels like dead leg,” said Green, whose bases-loaded walk set up Alex Gonzalez‘ game-winning, bloop single. “I almost collapsed every single swing, and almost collapsed walking down to first, and almost collapsed when I was leading off [first base]. I don’t know what’s wrong with it.”
Green hadn’t told Red Sox manager Terry Francona of the ailment, having thought he would be able to endure the pain once he entered the game. “I thought I was fine, but it was different once you get into the game,” he said. “You can get away with stuff in batting practice. It’s just different when you get in the game. … It doesn’t really hurt, just every time you put pressure on it, it collapses.”
Green continued: “That’s why I said I was battling for my life. I seriously did not think I could get a hit.” Green said his leg was so bad that once he got to first base he couldn’t even take a secondary lead.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.