Green battled through ‘dead leg’
|09.17.09 at 12:25 am ET|
Talking after the Red Sox’ 9-8 win over the Angels, Wednesday night at Fenway Park, Nick Green said he was dealing with a painful issue with his right leg when batting with the bases loaded, two outs and the Sox down by a run in the ninth inning. Green would walk on a 3-2 fastball from Angels reliever Brian Fuentes, saying that he could barely get down to first first base his leg was hurting him so badly.
“I didn’t feel right,” he said. “That’s for sure.” Green called his ailment a “dead leg,” which he first started feeling when waking up Monday. “I don’t know what it is, it feels like dead leg,” said Green, whose bases-loaded walk set up Alex Gonzalez‘ game-winning, bloop single. “I almost collapsed every single swing, and almost collapsed walking down to first, and almost collapsed when I was leading off [first base]. I don’t know what’s wrong with it.”
Green hadn’t told Red Sox manager Terry Francona of the ailment, having thought he would be able to endure the pain once he entered the game. “I thought I was fine, but it was different once you get into the game,” he said. “You can get away with stuff in batting practice. It’s just different when you get in the game. … It doesn’t really hurt, just every time you put pressure on it, it collapses.”
Green continued: “That’s why I said I was battling for my life. I seriously did not think I could get a hit.” Green said his leg was so bad that once he got to first base he couldn’t even take a secondary lead.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies