Green battled through ‘dead leg’
|09.17.09 at 12:25 am ET|
Talking after the Red Sox’ 9-8 win over the Angels, Wednesday night at Fenway Park, Nick Green said he was dealing with a painful issue with his right leg when batting with the bases loaded, two outs and the Sox down by a run in the ninth inning. Green would walk on a 3-2 fastball from Angels reliever Brian Fuentes, saying that he could barely get down to first first base his leg was hurting him so badly.
“I didn’t feel right,” he said. “That’s for sure.” Green called his ailment a “dead leg,” which he first started feeling when waking up Monday. “I don’t know what it is, it feels like dead leg,” said Green, whose bases-loaded walk set up Alex Gonzalez‘ game-winning, bloop single. “I almost collapsed every single swing, and almost collapsed walking down to first, and almost collapsed when I was leading off [first base]. I don’t know what’s wrong with it.”
Green hadn’t told Red Sox manager Terry Francona of the ailment, having thought he would be able to endure the pain once he entered the game. “I thought I was fine, but it was different once you get into the game,” he said. “You can get away with stuff in batting practice. It’s just different when you get in the game. … It doesn’t really hurt, just every time you put pressure on it, it collapses.”
Green continued: “That’s why I said I was battling for my life. I seriously did not think I could get a hit.” Green said his leg was so bad that once he got to first base he couldn’t even take a secondary lead.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins