Beckett sidelined with back spasms
|09.28.09 at 6:29 pm ET|
Red Sox manager Terry Francona said that it is an ailment that had bothered Beckett for some time, but when the pitcher couldn’t get comfortable on the team’s plane ride back from New York Sunday night, and then experienced discomfort Monday morning, it was determined that rest would be the preferred approach.
‘Every time something happens we try to make it be beneficial,’ said Francona. ‘Rather than whine about something, we try to make something that was maybe a negative today and turn it into a positive. We’ll sit with him and the medical staff and figure out the best course of action for him and we’ll adjust to it.’
Beckett had referenced the importance of getting extra rest while speaking in Baltimore, saying regarding getting the extra day of rest, “I’ve been basically on five days for five or six starts in a row, and it catches up to you. I think this was definitely what I needed. My body needed it. I’ve been dealing with something different almost every start. They’ve made it possible to build that [rest] in over the past four years and my body has become accustomed to it. I haven’t had many breathers other than those two extra days [after the All-Star break] there.’
Pitching on an extra days rest, Wednesday in Kansas City, Beckett allowed two runs over six innings, giving up 12 hits while throwing 103 pitches.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester
- Swihart learning to catch the knuckler in Pawtucket
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 7: Low Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz walks off for PawSox home opener
- Cup of Coffee: Jackie Bradley Jr. continues hot start, Pawtucket falls in doubleheader
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 6: Mid-Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Margot, Longhi, and Cecchini provide the power
- Podcast Ep. 73: Scout Talk and Season's Start
- Cup of Coffee: Abbreviated 2015 debuts for Kopech, Barnes
- Weekly Notes: Let the games begin