Beckett sidelined with back spasms
|09.28.09 at 6:29 pm ET|
Red Sox manager Terry Francona said that it is an ailment that had bothered Beckett for some time, but when the pitcher couldn’t get comfortable on the team’s plane ride back from New York Sunday night, and then experienced discomfort Monday morning, it was determined that rest would be the preferred approach.
‘Every time something happens we try to make it be beneficial,’ said Francona. ‘Rather than whine about something, we try to make something that was maybe a negative today and turn it into a positive. We’ll sit with him and the medical staff and figure out the best course of action for him and we’ll adjust to it.’
Beckett had referenced the importance of getting extra rest while speaking in Baltimore, saying regarding getting the extra day of rest, “I’ve been basically on five days for five or six starts in a row, and it catches up to you. I think this was definitely what I needed. My body needed it. I’ve been dealing with something different almost every start. They’ve made it possible to build that [rest] in over the past four years and my body has become accustomed to it. I haven’t had many breathers other than those two extra days [after the All-Star break] there.’
Pitching on an extra days rest, Wednesday in Kansas City, Beckett allowed two runs over six innings, giving up 12 hits while throwing 103 pitches.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine