Ortiz the healthy one
|09.29.09 at 5:44 am ET|
The playoffs are upon us and Ortiz is healthy. Times have certainly changed.
“After I came back last year my hand still felt weird. I don’t remember a day when I felt good,” Ortiz said. “And the cold weather didn’t help. But I’m fine now. My knee. My wrist. Everything is fine. I feel good.”
The latest example of how good Ortiz feels came when he hit his 28th homer of the season in the Red Sox’ loss Monday night, a solo shot in the sixth inning. It was his sixth homer of September, matching his output in the season’s final month a year ago. But, as he explained, there is no comparison when looking at the pair of stretch drives.
“I feel good,” he said. “Last year I had to deal with my wrist. It was a [expletive], especially when it got cold and it got tight. It was not fun. But now I feel good.”
Even before the Red Sox’ loss to Toronto there was no secret to how good Ortiz felt. Not only has he hit .284 with a .568 slugging percentage in September (numbers that almost add up to his combined totals for April and May), but since his low point on June 1 (.185 batting average), Ortiz has produced as well as almost anybody in baseball.
Using the first day of June as a jumping-off point, Ortiz has more RBI (77) than Alex Rodriguez and Mark Teixeira, and the fourth-most homers of any player in baseball (27). And it’s a streak that, thanks in part to the designated hitter’s health, doesn’t seem to be slowing down.
“I was fine [during the slump]. My problems were more mental and mechanical than anything else. But body-wise, I was fine,” explained Ortiz, whose 41 walks and 12 homers in the postseason since 2003 is second only to Manny Ramirez. “I try to get it done. In the playoffs you have a small amount of chances to get it done, but it can happen. I think I’ve done OK in the playoffs.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller