Green: ‘It’s not where I want it to be’
|10.01.09 at 4:19 pm ET|
Red Sox infielder Nick Green took ground balls with first base coach Tim Bogar prior to Thursday night’s game against the Indians, at Fenway Park, and came away still frustrated that his “dead” right leg hadn’t responded like he had hoped.
Green, whose leg problem was thought to be caused by a slipped disc in his back, said his right leg gave out a few times while taking grounders. He followed up the fielding exercises with a round of batting practice, which he also had taken Wednesday.
“It’s not where I want it to be,” Green said. “It’s getting better, but it’s still frustrating because it’s not where I want it to be.
“It doesn’t hurt, but it just doesn’t cooperate. It just doesn’t get up like it should. It wears out and is week. It’s had to describe because it doesn’t hurt. The more stuff I do, the more tired it gets.”
Green’s anxiety is heightened by the fact that time is ticking toward when the team has to make a decision on post-season rosters and there is nothing the infielder can do to quicken the healing process.
“It’s not where I want it to be, by any stretch of the imagination. We’ll see how it is tomorrow. I can’t do anything to speed it up and that’s why it’s so frustrating because I can’t do anything to make it better more than what I’m doing.
“I get disappointed because I want it to be one way and it doesn’t react the way I want it to react. It doesn’t make sense to me.”
In other pre-game news, Tim Wakefield, who gave up five runs on seven hits over three innings Wednesday night, said that he was feeling the physical toll of throwing 76 pitches and if he wasn’t going to make the post-season option the pitcher would most likely immediately have surgery on his herniated disc.
J.D. Drew was also getting the night off to rest his sore shoulder. Joey Gathright will start in right field, marking just the third time he has played the position in the major leagues.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies