Green: ‘It’s not where I want it to be’
|10.01.09 at 4:19 pm ET|
Red Sox infielder Nick Green took ground balls with first base coach Tim Bogar prior to Thursday night’s game against the Indians, at Fenway Park, and came away still frustrated that his “dead” right leg hadn’t responded like he had hoped.
Green, whose leg problem was thought to be caused by a slipped disc in his back, said his right leg gave out a few times while taking grounders. He followed up the fielding exercises with a round of batting practice, which he also had taken Wednesday.
“It’s not where I want it to be,” Green said. “It’s getting better, but it’s still frustrating because it’s not where I want it to be.
“It doesn’t hurt, but it just doesn’t cooperate. It just doesn’t get up like it should. It wears out and is week. It’s had to describe because it doesn’t hurt. The more stuff I do, the more tired it gets.”
Green’s anxiety is heightened by the fact that time is ticking toward when the team has to make a decision on post-season rosters and there is nothing the infielder can do to quicken the healing process.
“It’s not where I want it to be, by any stretch of the imagination. We’ll see how it is tomorrow. I can’t do anything to speed it up and that’s why it’s so frustrating because I can’t do anything to make it better more than what I’m doing.
“I get disappointed because I want it to be one way and it doesn’t react the way I want it to react. It doesn’t make sense to me.”
In other pre-game news, Tim Wakefield, who gave up five runs on seven hits over three innings Wednesday night, said that he was feeling the physical toll of throwing 76 pitches and if he wasn’t going to make the post-season option the pitcher would most likely immediately have surgery on his herniated disc.
J.D. Drew was also getting the night off to rest his sore shoulder. Joey Gathright will start in right field, marking just the third time he has played the position in the major leagues.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot