Green: ‘It’s not where I want it to be’
|10.01.09 at 4:19 pm ET|
Red Sox infielder Nick Green took ground balls with first base coach Tim Bogar prior to Thursday night’s game against the Indians, at Fenway Park, and came away still frustrated that his “dead” right leg hadn’t responded like he had hoped.
Green, whose leg problem was thought to be caused by a slipped disc in his back, said his right leg gave out a few times while taking grounders. He followed up the fielding exercises with a round of batting practice, which he also had taken Wednesday.
“It’s not where I want it to be,” Green said. “It’s getting better, but it’s still frustrating because it’s not where I want it to be.
“It doesn’t hurt, but it just doesn’t cooperate. It just doesn’t get up like it should. It wears out and is week. It’s had to describe because it doesn’t hurt. The more stuff I do, the more tired it gets.”
Green’s anxiety is heightened by the fact that time is ticking toward when the team has to make a decision on post-season rosters and there is nothing the infielder can do to quicken the healing process.
“It’s not where I want it to be, by any stretch of the imagination. We’ll see how it is tomorrow. I can’t do anything to speed it up and that’s why it’s so frustrating because I can’t do anything to make it better more than what I’m doing.
“I get disappointed because I want it to be one way and it doesn’t react the way I want it to react. It doesn’t make sense to me.”
In other pre-game news, Tim Wakefield, who gave up five runs on seven hits over three innings Wednesday night, said that he was feeling the physical toll of throwing 76 pitches and if he wasn’t going to make the post-season option the pitcher would most likely immediately have surgery on his herniated disc.
J.D. Drew was also getting the night off to rest his sore shoulder. Joey Gathright will start in right field, marking just the third time he has played the position in the major leagues.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo