Wagner might go back-to-back
|10.01.09 at 11:35 pm ET|
Speaking after the Red Sox’ 3-0 win over the Indians, Thursday night at Fenway Park, Sox pitching coach John Farrell confirmed that the team was contemplating using reliever Billy Wagner on back-to-back games for the first time this season, Friday night. Wagner only threw eight pitches in retiring all three batters he faced in the eighth inning.
“There’s a possibility,” Farrell said. “We’ve been waiting for an outing where it’s been 10 to 13 pitches, and he threw eight pitches tonight. We’ll talk more about it if it’s in his and our best interest to do that. If there is an opportunity that would certainly be tomorrow.
“We had hoped to get it accomplished before the season ended. It sets up for us to be able to do that tomorrow. If it works out that way it remains to be seen. He’s been asking for quite some time to do it, but we just didn’t want to push it. But this lines up to do just that.”
Wagner reiterated that he thought pitching on back-to-back days would be in everybody’s best interest.
“You don’t want to get to the playoffs and say, ‘Oh, I can’t go back to back.’ It would be a bad situation to go out there in Anaheim and not be able to do your job,” the reliever said. “So we’ll find out now and save them the worries.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers
- The Write-Up: More from the Fort