Wagner might go back-to-back
|10.01.09 at 11:35 pm ET|
Speaking after the Red Sox’ 3-0 win over the Indians, Thursday night at Fenway Park, Sox pitching coach John Farrell confirmed that the team was contemplating using reliever Billy Wagner on back-to-back games for the first time this season, Friday night. Wagner only threw eight pitches in retiring all three batters he faced in the eighth inning.
“There’s a possibility,” Farrell said. “We’ve been waiting for an outing where it’s been 10 to 13 pitches, and he threw eight pitches tonight. We’ll talk more about it if it’s in his and our best interest to do that. If there is an opportunity that would certainly be tomorrow.
“We had hoped to get it accomplished before the season ended. It sets up for us to be able to do that tomorrow. If it works out that way it remains to be seen. He’s been asking for quite some time to do it, but we just didn’t want to push it. But this lines up to do just that.”
Wagner reiterated that he thought pitching on back-to-back days would be in everybody’s best interest.
“You don’t want to get to the playoffs and say, ‘Oh, I can’t go back to back.’ It would be a bad situation to go out there in Anaheim and not be able to do your job,” the reliever said. “So we’ll find out now and save them the worries.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Chatham comes up clutch, Downs lifts Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts