Wagner might go back-to-back
|10.01.09 at 11:35 pm ET|
Speaking after the Red Sox’ 3-0 win over the Indians, Thursday night at Fenway Park, Sox pitching coach John Farrell confirmed that the team was contemplating using reliever Billy Wagner on back-to-back games for the first time this season, Friday night. Wagner only threw eight pitches in retiring all three batters he faced in the eighth inning.
“There’s a possibility,” Farrell said. “We’ve been waiting for an outing where it’s been 10 to 13 pitches, and he threw eight pitches tonight. We’ll talk more about it if it’s in his and our best interest to do that. If there is an opportunity that would certainly be tomorrow.
“We had hoped to get it accomplished before the season ended. It sets up for us to be able to do that tomorrow. If it works out that way it remains to be seen. He’s been asking for quite some time to do it, but we just didn’t want to push it. But this lines up to do just that.”
Wagner reiterated that he thought pitching on back-to-back days would be in everybody’s best interest.
“You don’t want to get to the playoffs and say, ‘Oh, I can’t go back to back.’ It would be a bad situation to go out there in Anaheim and not be able to do your job,” the reliever said. “So we’ll find out now and save them the worries.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston