Wagner might go back-to-back
|10.01.09 at 11:35 pm ET|
Speaking after the Red Sox’ 3-0 win over the Indians, Thursday night at Fenway Park, Sox pitching coach John Farrell confirmed that the team was contemplating using reliever Billy Wagner on back-to-back games for the first time this season, Friday night. Wagner only threw eight pitches in retiring all three batters he faced in the eighth inning.
“There’s a possibility,” Farrell said. “We’ve been waiting for an outing where it’s been 10 to 13 pitches, and he threw eight pitches tonight. We’ll talk more about it if it’s in his and our best interest to do that. If there is an opportunity that would certainly be tomorrow.
“We had hoped to get it accomplished before the season ended. It sets up for us to be able to do that tomorrow. If it works out that way it remains to be seen. He’s been asking for quite some time to do it, but we just didn’t want to push it. But this lines up to do just that.”
Wagner reiterated that he thought pitching on back-to-back days would be in everybody’s best interest.
“You don’t want to get to the playoffs and say, ‘Oh, I can’t go back to back.’ It would be a bad situation to go out there in Anaheim and not be able to do your job,” the reliever said. “So we’ll find out now and save them the worries.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles