Pregame notes: Wakefield not on ALDS roster
|10.04.09 at 11:13 am ET|
Red Sox manager Terry Francona said prior the Red Sox’ game, Sunday, with the Indians that Tim Wakefield will not be on the American League Division Series roster, but that the team is not ruling out the knuckleballer making an appearance in the postseason if the Sox advance. “I think it’s kind of obvious the situation he’s in … Talked to him about not shelving his season … he’s on board with that,” Francona said.
Francona noted that Manny Delcarmen, who was — as was first reported by WEEI.com — in a car accident prior to Saturday night’s game, was “pretty stiff last night”, and that the Red Sox would have like to see more of the reliever before the postseason but now can’t because of his availability.
As for Rocco Baldelli, who has been sidelined with a sore hip, there is no decision on his addition to the postseason roster with Francona saying, “We’ll treat him aggressively and see where this goes … He’s a big bat to have.” Nick Green, who is still struggling with a slipped disc in his back, is, according the Sox manager, “stuck in neutral”. The Red Sox pitchers will throw side sessions Monday in case their ALDS with the Angels starts Wednesday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Roof and Tekotte go back-to-back in Portland win
- The Write-Up: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Stankiewicz fires eight-inning gem to lead Salem
- Weekly Notes: The Yoan Moncada era begins
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shuts down Dash offense, Callahan has wild outing
- Cup of Coffee: Witte walks off for Portland, Buttrey goes seven strong for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech drives Greenville past Charleston
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel grabs first Double-A win, Craig reaches five times
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada breaks out, PawSox lose heartbreaker
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson goes six strong, Moncada picks up first hit