Pregame notes: Wakefield not on ALDS roster
|10.04.09 at 11:13 am ET|
Red Sox manager Terry Francona said prior the Red Sox’ game, Sunday, with the Indians that Tim Wakefield will not be on the American League Division Series roster, but that the team is not ruling out the knuckleballer making an appearance in the postseason if the Sox advance. “I think it’s kind of obvious the situation he’s in … Talked to him about not shelving his season … he’s on board with that,” Francona said.
Francona noted that Manny Delcarmen, who was — as was first reported by WEEI.com — in a car accident prior to Saturday night’s game, was “pretty stiff last night”, and that the Red Sox would have like to see more of the reliever before the postseason but now can’t because of his availability.
As for Rocco Baldelli, who has been sidelined with a sore hip, there is no decision on his addition to the postseason roster with Francona saying, “We’ll treat him aggressively and see where this goes … He’s a big bat to have.” Nick Green, who is still struggling with a slipped disc in his back, is, according the Sox manager, “stuck in neutral”. The Red Sox pitchers will throw side sessions Monday in case their ALDS with the Angels starts Wednesday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Weekly Notes: Red Sox win GCL title, Castillo debuts
- ESPN Boston: Farm clubs faring well
- Cup of Coffee: Rusney Castillo debuts, PawSox clinch wild card
- Red Sox acquire infielders Jemile Weeks and Ivan De Jesus
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Light dominate, GCL takes game one
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson keeps rolling, GCL wins semifinal
- Cup of Coffee: Gonzalez leads combined no-hitter in DSL Playoff opener
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split
- Players of the Week, 8/18-24: Brian Johnson & Mike Miller
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title