Pregame notes: Wakefield not on ALDS roster
|10.04.09 at 11:13 am ET|
Red Sox manager Terry Francona said prior the Red Sox’ game, Sunday, with the Indians that Tim Wakefield will not be on the American League Division Series roster, but that the team is not ruling out the knuckleballer making an appearance in the postseason if the Sox advance. “I think it’s kind of obvious the situation he’s in … Talked to him about not shelving his season … he’s on board with that,” Francona said.
Francona noted that Manny Delcarmen, who was — as was first reported by WEEI.com — in a car accident prior to Saturday night’s game, was “pretty stiff last night”, and that the Red Sox would have like to see more of the reliever before the postseason but now can’t because of his availability.
As for Rocco Baldelli, who has been sidelined with a sore hip, there is no decision on his addition to the postseason roster with Francona saying, “We’ll treat him aggressively and see where this goes … He’s a big bat to have.” Nick Green, who is still struggling with a slipped disc in his back, is, according the Sox manager, “stuck in neutral”. The Red Sox pitchers will throw side sessions Monday in case their ALDS with the Angels starts Wednesday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Light shines bright for Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/14-20: Michael Almanzar & Trey Ball
- Cup of Coffee: Acosta scores four in GCL Sox sweep
- Weekly Notes: Betts returns to Pawtucket, Owens wins ninth straight
- 2014 Draft recap: Sox sign 31 players, with impact potential at the top
- Cup of Coffee: Ranaudo, Johnson impress, Stankiewicz fans nine
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #61: Wild Turkeys, July 2, and the Draft
- Cup of Coffee: Owens stays strong; Ball delivers best yet
- Cup of Coffee: Steven Wright leads Pawtucket; Meyers powers Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Hassan stays hot; Victorino looks strong in rehab