Pregame notes: Wakefield not on ALDS roster
|10.04.09 at 11:13 am ET|
Red Sox manager Terry Francona said prior the Red Sox’ game, Sunday, with the Indians that Tim Wakefield will not be on the American League Division Series roster, but that the team is not ruling out the knuckleballer making an appearance in the postseason if the Sox advance. “I think it’s kind of obvious the situation he’s in … Talked to him about not shelving his season … he’s on board with that,” Francona said.
Francona noted that Manny Delcarmen, who was — as was first reported by WEEI.com — in a car accident prior to Saturday night’s game, was “pretty stiff last night”, and that the Red Sox would have like to see more of the reliever before the postseason but now can’t because of his availability.
As for Rocco Baldelli, who has been sidelined with a sore hip, there is no decision on his addition to the postseason roster with Francona saying, “We’ll treat him aggressively and see where this goes … He’s a big bat to have.” Nick Green, who is still struggling with a slipped disc in his back, is, according the Sox manager, “stuck in neutral”. The Red Sox pitchers will throw side sessions Monday in case their ALDS with the Angels starts Wednesday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Owens, others struggle on mound
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza dominates in mid-week matinee
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez fires seven strong innings in rehab start
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras