A bullpen health update
|10.07.09 at 12:41 pm ET|
At the conclusion of the Red Sox’ workout, Tuesday, pitching John Farrell updated the status of a couple of healthy concerns within the team’s bullpen, Hideki Okajima and Manny Delcarmen.
According to Farrell, Okajima, who has been battling an oblique ailment, appears ready for action.
“He threw flat ground [Tuesday], out to 120 feet and was very good. We’ll re-evaluate him [Wednesday],” Farrell said.” There’s a chance he could throw a light bullpen [Wednesday] and be ready to go for Thursday.”
Delcarmen participated in his first bullpen session since getting in a car accident Saturday afternoon, and came away exuding some optimism regarding the progress of his injuries.
“Manny threw a pen [Tuesday] and there were no lingering affects from the car accident,” Farrell said. “The stiffness he was feeling in the upper back and the neck were not there. Now, it wasn’t full bore but it was by design to give him a 35-pitch pen and just be sure he threw all of his pitches. We’ll get him a chance to see him tomorrow to make a final decision.”
From the Angels side, Jason Bulger said he doesn’t think his sore right shoulder will keep him out of the ALDS. The reliever, who went 6-1 with a 3.56 ERA and 68 strikeouts in 65 2/3 innings this season, had received a cortisone shot in his shoulder Sunday
Latest from Bleacher Report
- The Write-Up: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Owens falters in Futures rematch; Shaw leads PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Martinez, Heller, Weems lead Salem bats in win
- Cup of Coffee: Light shines bright for Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/14-20: Michael Almanzar & Trey Ball
- Cup of Coffee: Acosta scores four in GCL Sox sweep
- Weekly Notes: Betts returns to Pawtucket, Owens wins ninth straight
- 2014 Draft recap: Sox sign 31 players, with impact potential at the top
- Cup of Coffee: Ranaudo, Johnson impress, Stankiewicz fans nine
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #61: Wild Turkeys, July 2, and the Draft