Bay Contemplates ‘Uneasy’ Future
|10.11.09 at 5:27 pm ET|
Speaking after the Red Sox‘ stunning 7-6 loss in Game 3 of the American League Division Series, Red Sox outfielder Jason Bay said that it was “very weird” to think about the possibility that he’d played his last home game in Boston. Bay will become a free agent in just a few weeks, the first time in his career that he will be able to experience an open market for his services.
Bay made clear that he would love to return, but he also suggested that there are other places where he would consider playing if that’s what the offseason has in store.
“I’ve gotten this far down the process, but there isn’t a ton of other places,” said Bay. “This would be, I can’t say it’s the only place in the world, but it’s definitely one of, which makes it tough to think that this might have been it.”
Bay’s predominant feeling was the oddness that he might no longer play for the Red Sox in 2010.
“That’s the tough part for me. I don’t really know what’s going on,” said Bay. “It’s weird. Every year, whether it’s the postseason or regular season that ends, you kind of know where you’re going to be. This is uncharted for me. It’s a little uneasy. I don’t know whether it’s the last time I’ll be in here or not, but I guess I’m not the first guy to go through it.
“I’ve pretty much loved every minute of [playing in Boston],” he continued. “I’ve been here for roughly a year and a half. The quickest year and a half I’ve ever had in the big leagues. That’s a good thing. … It’s been everything ‘ the fans, the whole experience has been very, very positive. There isn’t really a lot of negatives that I can draw from being here, which makes it, once again, tough not knowing my situation and if I’ll have a chance to be back or not.”
For more on the potential market for Bay this offseason, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven