Bay Contemplates ‘Uneasy’ Future
|10.11.09 at 5:27 pm ET|
Speaking after the Red Sox‘ stunning 7-6 loss in Game 3 of the American League Division Series, Red Sox outfielder Jason Bay said that it was “very weird” to think about the possibility that he’d played his last home game in Boston. Bay will become a free agent in just a few weeks, the first time in his career that he will be able to experience an open market for his services.
Bay made clear that he would love to return, but he also suggested that there are other places where he would consider playing if that’s what the offseason has in store.
“I’ve gotten this far down the process, but there isn’t a ton of other places,” said Bay. “This would be, I can’t say it’s the only place in the world, but it’s definitely one of, which makes it tough to think that this might have been it.”
Bay’s predominant feeling was the oddness that he might no longer play for the Red Sox in 2010.
“That’s the tough part for me. I don’t really know what’s going on,” said Bay. “It’s weird. Every year, whether it’s the postseason or regular season that ends, you kind of know where you’re going to be. This is uncharted for me. It’s a little uneasy. I don’t know whether it’s the last time I’ll be in here or not, but I guess I’m not the first guy to go through it.
“I’ve pretty much loved every minute of [playing in Boston],” he continued. “I’ve been here for roughly a year and a half. The quickest year and a half I’ve ever had in the big leagues. That’s a good thing. … It’s been everything ‘ the fans, the whole experience has been very, very positive. There isn’t really a lot of negatives that I can draw from being here, which makes it, once again, tough not knowing my situation and if I’ll have a chance to be back or not.”
For more on the potential market for Bay this offseason, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler
- Red Sox announce front office moves
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Playoffs begin, Marban pitches well in Australia