Beckett wants his Tek-nichian back in 2010
|10.12.09 at 5:16 pm ET|
“He’s definitely one of those guys I’d love to see back, even if the transition starts like it started at the end of the year,” Beckett said. “I think there’s a lot of things that a lot of people can learn from him. And him being around, it’s never a bad thing. He’s so great with young guys and he knows to run a clubhouse and that’s why he wears that ‘C’ on his chest.”
Red Sox GM Theo Epstein said Monday that he had yet to speak to Varitek about his role next year. The Red Sox captain has a $3 million option he can exercise for 2010 or the club could pick up his option at $5 million.
Epstein added that he Victor Martinez would likely see the majority of catching duty next year. Martinez caught all three games of the series against the Angels while Varitek did not play in the ALDS, the first time in his Red Sox career he spent the entire postseason on the bench.
“It’s obviously not anything you want to see somebody go through, and I consider Jason Varitek a dear friend of mine,” Beckett added. “It’s obviously tough to see people go through those transitions but he handled it very well.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston