Chapman comes to Boston
|10.29.09 at 7:06 am ET|
According to a source with knowledge of the situation, Cuban pitcher Aroldis Chapman is in Boston to meet with the Red Sox. The 21-year-old lefty pitcher is being courted by numerous major league teams after defecting during a tournament in the Netherlands in July.
Chapman, whose fastball has been clocked as high as 102 mph, is considered to be one of the top pitchers in the world who is not currently pitching in the Major Leagues. Chapman has already met with the Yankees and the Mets, and figure to be scheduling meetings with the Cardinals and Mariners (among others) shortly. While Chapman’s upside is considered greater than one of his countrymen, Jose Contreras, who defected in 2002 before signing with the Yankees, the southpaw isn’t considered as major-league ready as Contreras.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell
- Podcast Ep. #104: BeninBoston
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Luis Alexander Basabe
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits in Portland's slugfest
- Cup of Coffee: Dalbec keeps hitting, Dubon, Atkins lead Portland
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech dominates again, Dalbec blasts a pair