Chapman comes to Boston
|10.29.09 at 7:06 am ET|
According to a source with knowledge of the situation, Cuban pitcher Aroldis Chapman is in Boston to meet with the Red Sox. The 21-year-old lefty pitcher is being courted by numerous major league teams after defecting during a tournament in the Netherlands in July.
Chapman, whose fastball has been clocked as high as 102 mph, is considered to be one of the top pitchers in the world who is not currently pitching in the Major Leagues. Chapman has already met with the Yankees and the Mets, and figure to be scheduling meetings with the Cardinals and Mariners (among others) shortly. While Chapman’s upside is considered greater than one of his countrymen, Jose Contreras, who defected in 2002 before signing with the Yankees, the southpaw isn’t considered as major-league ready as Contreras.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg