Red Sox Retain Rights to Indy Leaguer Rodriguez
|10.29.09 at 3:56 pm ET|
According to a major-league source, the MLB Commissioner’s Office has ruled that the Red Sox still possess the rights to Reynaldo Rodriguez, a first baseman whom they acquired from the Yuma Scorpions of the independent Golden Baseball League earlier this month.
There had been some confusion as to whether Rodriguez remained Red Sox property after a report that the Royals had acquired him. The Royals had indeed filed a transaction stating that they had reached an agreement with the 22-year-old, who is currently playing in the Colombian Winter League, though it had not been approved by MLB.
After reviewing the case, however, the Commissioner’s Office found that the Sox had gone through the proper channels in purchasing Rodriguez’ rights from the Golden Baseball League. Because the GBL had already picked up the 2010 option on Rodriguez’ deal after he hit .335/.380/.486 for the Scorpions, a team could only acquire his rights by purchasing his contract from the League, as the Sox did. Moreover, the player informed the club that he had not come to an agreement with the Royals.
The Sox will follow Rodriguez this winter in Colombia, and then let him compete for a spot on one of their minor-league affiliates in spring training. For a scouting report on the former Yankees minor leaguer, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven