Chat with Former Sox G.M. Dan Duquette
|11.04.09 at 6:42 pm ET|
Former Red Sox G.M. Dan Duquette — the man who brought Pedro Martinez to Boston following the 1997 season — will drop by the Virtual Press Box on Thursday, Nov. 5, at noon to take questions in the fourth installment of WEEI.com’s Thursday baseball chat series.
Duquette was the G.M. of the Red Sox for eight seasons, from 1994-2001, following two years in the same role with the Montreal Expos. He traded for Martinez both when he was with the Expos (in exchange for Delino DeShields) and again as the G.M. of the Sox (for Carl Pavano and Tony Armas Jr.). Other notable deals that he made in Boston included trading reliever Heathcliff Slocumb for Jason Varitek and Derek Lowe, and signing Tim Wakefield. The Sox made the playoffs three times under Duquette’s stewardship, once as the A.L. East winners, and twice more as the wild card team. During his Boston tenure, the Sox went 656-574 while setting numerous attendance records.
Duquette is now the President of the Dan Duquette Sports Academy, a sports training center for boys and girls ages 8-18 who are interested in learning baseball, softball, basketball and life skills from distinguished high school, college and professional coaches. This summer, the Academy will host its first-ever All-Girls session, led by Justine Siegal who is the first women to coach a men’s professional baseball team.
Oct. 29 — Red Sox outfielder Jason Bay
Oct. 22 — Red Sox hitting coach Dave Magadan
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Writers
- Top 40 in Review: Michael Kopech and Sean Coyle
- Top 40 in Review: Wendell Rijo and Edwin Escobar
- Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Shaw and Sam Travis
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Marrero dominates in AFL
- Top 40 in Review: Nick Longhi and Teddy Stankiewicz
- Top 40 in Review: Heath Hembree and Steven Wright
- Top 40 Season in Review: Javier Guerra and Henry Ramos
- Top 40 in Review: Simon Mercedes and Carlos Asuaje
- Top 40 Season in Review: Anderson Espinoza and Alex Hassan