Green to have surgery
|11.06.09 at 3:48 pm ET|
WEEI.com’s Jessica Camerato has learned Red Sox infielder Nick Green will undergo back surgery on Monday in Boston. Green suffered a back injury in September and was not active on the 2009 playoff roster. The Red Sox outrighted him to Triple-A Pawtucket yesterday.
Green was sidelined with what was believed to be a slipped disc in his back since mid-Sept., with his last at-bat coming on Sept. 16 when he drew a bases-loaded walk in the ninth inning of a win over the Angels.
The shortstop, who complained of a ‘dead’ right leg throughout the last few weeks of the season, played in 103 games with the Red Sox in 2009, hitting .236 with six homers.
The 31-year-old has spent parts of five season in the major leagues, having previously played in the Braves, Rays, Yankees and Mariners organizations.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Writers
- Top 40 in Review: Heath Hembree and Steven Wright
- Top 40 Season in Review: Javier Guerra and Henry Ramos
- Top 40 in Review: Simon Mercedes and Carlos Asuaje
- Top 40 Season in Review: Anderson Espinoza and Alex Hassan
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rivero, Castillo make early impressions
- Top 40 Season in Review: Noe Ramirez and Luis Diaz
- Top 40 Season in Review: Bryce Brentz and Christopher Acosta
- Top 40 Season in Review: Justin Haley and Jake Cosart
- Top 40 Season in Review: Drake Britton and Dalier Hinojosa