Green, Gathright Elect Free Agency
|11.09.09 at 10:53 am ET|
Red Sox infielder Nick Green and outfielder Joey Gathright both elected free agency after the Sox attempted to outright them to the minors last Thursday. As players with three or more years of major-league service time, the two players had the right to refuse the assignment to the minors and instead become free agents, eligible to sign with any club.
Green, who is scheduled to undergo surgery on his back today to relieve the disc and nerve issue that prevented him from playing down the stretch, hit .236 with a .303 OBP and .366 slugging mark in 103 games for the Sox this year.
The Sox acquired Gathright in a trade with the Orioles late in the year. The speedy outfielder hit .313 with a .353 OBP and .313 slugging mark in 17 plate appearances, and was on Boston’s postseason roster for the series against the Angels.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Staff Top 40 Rankings, 2014: Ian Cundall
- Staff Top 40 Rankings, 2014: Matt Huegel
- Sox have seventh pick in draft
- Staff Top 40 Rankings, 2014: Chris Hatfield
- SoxProspects.com 2014 season-end award winners
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #64: Playing Out the Stretch
- Weekly Notes: Prospects flock to Boston
- 2014 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- 2014 Fall Instructional League rosters and schedule
- Cup of Coffee: PawSox fall late in Gildan Championship Game