Wakefield, Sox Agree on New Two-Year Deal
|11.09.09 at 2:23 pm ET|
The Red Sox have chosen not to pick up Tim Wakefield’s $4 million option for the 2010 season; instead, the team and the pitcher have come to terms on a two-year deal. The new contract will pay the 43-year-old a guaranteed $5 million — $3.5 million in ’10 and $1.5 million in ’11 — with the opportunity to earn various incentives that could bring the package’s total worth to approximately $10 million over the two years.
It is believed that if Wakefield meets all of his incentives, he would fall approximately $1 million short of matching what he would have made if the options were picked up in each of the next two seasons. Wakefield originally signed a one-year deal with recurring team options of $4 million every season — a one-of-its-kind contract — during the 2005 season, with the deal becoming effective starting for the 2006 season.
Wakefield underwent surgery on a herniated disc in his back last month, but is expected to be ready to be fully ready for spring training.
The new deal could allow Wakefield to accomplish his goal of breaking the record for most wins in a Red Sox uniform by a pitcher (192), which is currently shared by Cy Young and Roger Clemens. The knuckleballer will enter ’10 with 175 wins as a member of the Sox. He has also stated a goal of reaching 200 wins, which could be accomplished in the coming season. His current career win total stands at 189.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers