Agent: No rush for Martinez extension
|11.11.09 at 5:10 am ET|
CHICAGO — Alan Nero, the agent for Red Sox catcher/first baseman Victor Martinez, said that there hasn’t been any discussion with the Red Sox regarding an extension for his client, and that, at this point, there is no rush to get one done.
“There’s nothing to report,” said Nero in the lobby of the O’Hare International Airport Hilton. “Basically, he’s a Red Sox, it’s as simple as that.
“There’s been no indication on their part, or our part, that that will happen. We’re comfortable in whatever they want to do. If they come to us obviously we’ll listen. But neither Theo (Epstein) or Ben (Cherington) have called and said, ‘Hey, we want to talk long-term’. There was little or no dialogue at all prior to them exercising the option. The bottom line is that we’re content, he’s happy to be a Red Sox, and he’s going to be a Red Sox for the next year.”
The Red Sox exercised Martinez’ $7.7 million team option for 2010 Monday. If no extension is agreed upon the 30-year-old will be eligible to become a free agent for the first time in his career.
Nero also represents Seattle ace Felix Hernandez and says that the pitcher is in a similar wait-and-see situation.
“It’s the same exact thing except he has two more years of control,” Nero said. “The last thing in the world I can do is force somebody to offer a multi-year deal.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up