Agent: No rush for Martinez extension
|11.11.09 at 5:10 am ET|
CHICAGO — Alan Nero, the agent for Red Sox catcher/first baseman Victor Martinez, said that there hasn’t been any discussion with the Red Sox regarding an extension for his client, and that, at this point, there is no rush to get one done.
“There’s nothing to report,” said Nero in the lobby of the O’Hare International Airport Hilton. “Basically, he’s a Red Sox, it’s as simple as that.
“There’s been no indication on their part, or our part, that that will happen. We’re comfortable in whatever they want to do. If they come to us obviously we’ll listen. But neither Theo (Epstein) or Ben (Cherington) have called and said, ‘Hey, we want to talk long-term’. There was little or no dialogue at all prior to them exercising the option. The bottom line is that we’re content, he’s happy to be a Red Sox, and he’s going to be a Red Sox for the next year.”
The Red Sox exercised Martinez’ $7.7 million team option for 2010 Monday. If no extension is agreed upon the 30-year-old will be eligible to become a free agent for the first time in his career.
Nero also represents Seattle ace Felix Hernandez and says that the pitcher is in a similar wait-and-see situation.
“It’s the same exact thing except he has two more years of control,” Nero said. “The last thing in the world I can do is force somebody to offer a multi-year deal.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Cuts, injuries and positional battles
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 1: Catchers
- With new delivery honed, Haley looks to build on breakout season
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!