Theo: Bay to see what’s out there
|11.19.09 at 12:30 pm ET|
Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein met with a small group of reporters at Fenway Park following David Ortiz‘ press conference publicizing the slugger’s golf tournament and offered an update on the Jason Bay negotiations as the Sox’ exclusive negotiating period comes to an end at midnight, Thursday.
“It will last as long as it lasts, until one side does something different. I think this part of the process is important to him, so he’ll see what it’s like, see what’s out there and ultimately make a decision,” said Epstein, who said the two sides have maintained dialogue throughout the two-week period following the completion of the World Series.
“That’s not up to us. I think all along we maintained it was likely he was going to see what was out there.”
A report on SI.com suggested Bay turned down the Red Sox latest offer of four years, $60 million.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.