Theo: Bay to see what’s out there
|11.19.09 at 12:30 pm ET|
Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein met with a small group of reporters at Fenway Park following David Ortiz‘ press conference publicizing the slugger’s golf tournament and offered an update on the Jason Bay negotiations as the Sox’ exclusive negotiating period comes to an end at midnight, Thursday.
“It will last as long as it lasts, until one side does something different. I think this part of the process is important to him, so he’ll see what it’s like, see what’s out there and ultimately make a decision,” said Epstein, who said the two sides have maintained dialogue throughout the two-week period following the completion of the World Series.
“That’s not up to us. I think all along we maintained it was likely he was going to see what was out there.”
A report on SI.com suggested Bay turned down the Red Sox latest offer of four years, $60 million.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Database Coordinator
- January Notes: Red Sox extend contract with Greenville
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Champions crowned as play concludes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Championship series underway
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Blake Swihart
- Help Wanted: Writers, Editors
- Red Sox bring back Dan Butler on minor league deal
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramos and Castillo combine for 16 hits
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Henry Owens