Theo: Bay to see what’s out there
|11.19.09 at 12:30 pm ET|
Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein met with a small group of reporters at Fenway Park following David Ortiz‘ press conference publicizing the slugger’s golf tournament and offered an update on the Jason Bay negotiations as the Sox’ exclusive negotiating period comes to an end at midnight, Thursday.
“It will last as long as it lasts, until one side does something different. I think this part of the process is important to him, so he’ll see what it’s like, see what’s out there and ultimately make a decision,” said Epstein, who said the two sides have maintained dialogue throughout the two-week period following the completion of the World Series.
“That’s not up to us. I think all along we maintained it was likely he was going to see what was out there.”
A report on SI.com suggested Bay turned down the Red Sox latest offer of four years, $60 million.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again