Theo: Bay to see what’s out there
|11.19.09 at 12:30 pm ET|
Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein met with a small group of reporters at Fenway Park following David Ortiz‘ press conference publicizing the slugger’s golf tournament and offered an update on the Jason Bay negotiations as the Sox’ exclusive negotiating period comes to an end at midnight, Thursday.
“It will last as long as it lasts, until one side does something different. I think this part of the process is important to him, so he’ll see what it’s like, see what’s out there and ultimately make a decision,” said Epstein, who said the two sides have maintained dialogue throughout the two-week period following the completion of the World Series.
“That’s not up to us. I think all along we maintained it was likely he was going to see what was out there.”
A report on SI.com suggested Bay turned down the Red Sox latest offer of four years, $60 million.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Garin Cecchini and Yoan Aybar
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis blasts walk-off home run
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Chandler Shepherd and Kyle Martin