Agent: Red Sox still in the mix for Wagner
|11.25.09 at 5:14 pm ET|
Bean Stringfellow, the agent for reliever Billy Wagner, told WEEI.com late Wednesday afternoon that eight teams have shown interest his client, and has been told by a few of the interested clubs that Wagner will be presented with offers sometime next week. All of the teams have approached Wagner with the intention of using him as their closer, said Stringfellow.
The agent also reiterated that the one team which Wagner could land with that wouldn’t be using him as a closer is the Red Sox, who Stringfellow said he has “no doubt” will offer the pitcher arbitration.
“Billy is absolutely, believe or not, open to going back to Boston,” Stringfellow said. It was Wagner, the agent said, that listed the Red Sox as one of the teams he would be open to signing with when Stringfellow met with his client immediately after the regular season ended. “If you asked me if he would be open to returning to Boston right after the season ended I would say there was no chance. But he’s the one that brought it up to me,” he said. “He shared some stories that gave him comfort there in Boston that made him feel like could come back there. It was one of the most positive experiences that he ever had.”
If the Red Sox offer Wagner arbitration and he signs with another team, the Sox will receive two draft picks. Dec. 7 is the deadline for players to accept or reject arbitration. Stringfellow feels Wagner will have enough offers in hand prior to that date that an informed decision can be made by the pitcher in regards to a possible return to the Red Sox.
The Boston Herald first reported the reliever’s willingness to potentially accept arbitration from the Red Sox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez tosses complete game, Kopech stymies Asheville
- Cup of Coffee: McCarthy pitches Portland past Thunder
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel perfect in relief, Miller walks off for Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Dahlstrand cruises again in Salem's win
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson tosses complete game shutout
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis homers in 10th inning to lead Drive
- Weekly Notes: Blake Swihart's hot start; Rusney Castillo on the mend
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas struggles with command, Barnes bounces back
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart leads PawSox hit parade, Rodriguez earns first win
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester