Poll: Gonzalez or Scutaro?
|11.30.09 at 12:54 am ET|
Last Wednesday, shortstop Alex Gonzalez signed a one-year, $2.75 million with the Blue Jays that includes a $2.5 million team option for the 2010 season. That closed the door to the shortstop’s return to Boston; Gonzalez had been told by the Sox that Boston was prepared to offer him $3 million to return next year if, by the winter meetings, the club had not found a better option.
Marco Scutaro is the consensus best shortstop available in free agency. Many have weighed in with their opinions about whether the Sox would have been better off re-signing Gonzalez, or if they would be a better team in 2010 with Scutaro signed as a shortstop. (For Rob Bradford’s breakdown of Scutaro’s position, click here. For Lou Merloni’s analysis of the two, click here.)
What do you think?
Would the Sox have been better off re-signing Alex Gonzalez, or are they best served by seeing Gonzalez walk and replacing him with Marco Scutaro?
- The Sox needed Gonzalez - his departure is devastating (54%, 226 Votes)
- Forget Gonzalez - they'll be better with Scutaro (26%, 110 Votes)
- Neither - the team should look elsewhere (20%, 85 Votes)
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Owens, others struggle on mound
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza dominates in mid-week matinee
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez fires seven strong innings in rehab start
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras