Poll: Gonzalez or Scutaro?
|11.30.09 at 12:54 am ET|
Last Wednesday, shortstop Alex Gonzalez signed a one-year, $2.75 million with the Blue Jays that includes a $2.5 million team option for the 2010 season. That closed the door to the shortstop’s return to Boston; Gonzalez had been told by the Sox that Boston was prepared to offer him $3 million to return next year if, by the winter meetings, the club had not found a better option.
Marco Scutaro is the consensus best shortstop available in free agency. Many have weighed in with their opinions about whether the Sox would have been better off re-signing Gonzalez, or if they would be a better team in 2010 with Scutaro signed as a shortstop. (For Rob Bradford’s breakdown of Scutaro’s position, click here. For Lou Merloni’s analysis of the two, click here.)
What do you think?
Would the Sox have been better off re-signing Alex Gonzalez, or are they best served by seeing Gonzalez walk and replacing him with Marco Scutaro?
- The Sox needed Gonzalez - his departure is devastating (54%)
- Forget Gonzalez - they'll be better with Scutaro (26%)
- Neither - the team should look elsewhere (20%)
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles