Poll: Gonzalez or Scutaro?
|11.30.09 at 12:54 am ET|
Last Wednesday, shortstop Alex Gonzalez signed a one-year, $2.75 million with the Blue Jays that includes a $2.5 million team option for the 2010 season. That closed the door to the shortstop’s return to Boston; Gonzalez had been told by the Sox that Boston was prepared to offer him $3 million to return next year if, by the winter meetings, the club had not found a better option.
Marco Scutaro is the consensus best shortstop available in free agency. Many have weighed in with their opinions about whether the Sox would have been better off re-signing Gonzalez, or if they would be a better team in 2010 with Scutaro signed as a shortstop. (For Rob Bradford’s breakdown of Scutaro’s position, click here. For Lou Merloni’s analysis of the two, click here.)
What do you think?
Would the Sox have been better off re-signing Alex Gonzalez, or are they best served by seeing Gonzalez walk and replacing him with Marco Scutaro?
- The Sox needed Gonzalez - his departure is devastating (54%, 226 Votes)
- Forget Gonzalez - they'll be better with Scutaro (26%, 110 Votes)
- Neither - the team should look elsewhere (20%, 85 Votes)
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven