Poll: Gonzalez or Scutaro?
|11.30.09 at 12:54 am ET|
Last Wednesday, shortstop Alex Gonzalez signed a one-year, $2.75 million with the Blue Jays that includes a $2.5 million team option for the 2010 season. That closed the door to the shortstop’s return to Boston; Gonzalez had been told by the Sox that Boston was prepared to offer him $3 million to return next year if, by the winter meetings, the club had not found a better option.
Marco Scutaro is the consensus best shortstop available in free agency. Many have weighed in with their opinions about whether the Sox would have been better off re-signing Gonzalez, or if they would be a better team in 2010 with Scutaro signed as a shortstop. (For Rob Bradford’s breakdown of Scutaro’s position, click here. For Lou Merloni’s analysis of the two, click here.)
What do you think?
Would the Sox have been better off re-signing Alex Gonzalez, or are they best served by seeing Gonzalez walk and replacing him with Marco Scutaro?
- The Sox needed Gonzalez - his departure is devastating (54%, 226 Votes)
- Forget Gonzalez - they'll be better with Scutaro (26%, 110 Votes)
- Neither - the team should look elsewhere (20%, 85 Votes)
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston