Hudson also drawing interest from Sox
|12.03.09 at 1:06 am ET|
The list gets longer by the day — middle infielders who the Red Sox are kicking the tires on.
The likes of Adam Everett, Mark DeRosa, and Adam Kennedy are all names that have surfaced in the last few days as players the Red Sox have at least called about. And then, Wednesday night, MLB.com’s Ian Browne was the first to report that the Sox had also inquired about Placido Polanco, who, according to a source, was close to signing a deal to become the Phillies’ third baseman as Thursday approached.
So, who’s next? According to a major league source one name to add to the list is Orlando Hudson.
Like Polanco, Hudson is a Type A free agent who wasn’t offered arbitration by his team, which, in the 31-year-old’s case was the Los Angeles Dodgers. That was of some importance when evaluating the Red Sox’ interest, as they wouldn’t have to surrender a draft pick if a deal was struck.
Hudson, who has never played any other position but second base in his eight-year big league career, would only fit in the Red Sox’ plans if they made the move of playing Dustin Pedroia at short. It should also be noted that the Red Sox have shown interest in the smooth-fielding Hudson, who played four seasons in Toronto, three with Arizona, and last year with the Dodgers.
In 149 games with LA last season, Hudson batted .283, while winning his fourth Gold Glove in the past five seasons.
It still appears shortstop Marco Scutaro remains a top priority for the Red Sox. Scutaro, who was offered salary arbitration by the Blue Jays and would cost a draft pick if he is signed, turned down a two-year deal. It should be noted that such an offer by the Jays suggests that Toronto had no fears that the plantar fasciitis injury the infielder suffered at the end of the ’09 season was a concern for the future.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller