Hudson also drawing interest from Sox
|12.03.09 at 1:06 am ET|
The list gets longer by the day — middle infielders who the Red Sox are kicking the tires on.
The likes of Adam Everett, Mark DeRosa, and Adam Kennedy are all names that have surfaced in the last few days as players the Red Sox have at least called about. And then, Wednesday night, MLB.com’s Ian Browne was the first to report that the Sox had also inquired about Placido Polanco, who, according to a source, was close to signing a deal to become the Phillies’ third baseman as Thursday approached.
So, who’s next? According to a major league source one name to add to the list is Orlando Hudson.
Like Polanco, Hudson is a Type A free agent who wasn’t offered arbitration by his team, which, in the 31-year-old’s case was the Los Angeles Dodgers. That was of some importance when evaluating the Red Sox’ interest, as they wouldn’t have to surrender a draft pick if a deal was struck.
Hudson, who has never played any other position but second base in his eight-year big league career, would only fit in the Red Sox’ plans if they made the move of playing Dustin Pedroia at short. It should also be noted that the Red Sox have shown interest in the smooth-fielding Hudson, who played four seasons in Toronto, three with Arizona, and last year with the Dodgers.
In 149 games with LA last season, Hudson batted .283, while winning his fourth Gold Glove in the past five seasons.
It still appears shortstop Marco Scutaro remains a top priority for the Red Sox. Scutaro, who was offered salary arbitration by the Blue Jays and would cost a draft pick if he is signed, turned down a two-year deal. It should be noted that such an offer by the Jays suggests that Toronto had no fears that the plantar fasciitis injury the infielder suffered at the end of the ’09 season was a concern for the future.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo