Report: M’s Making ‘Concerted Push’ for Bay
|12.03.09 at 1:17 pm ET|
According to a report in the Seattle Times, the Mariners are making a “concerted push” for free-agent outfielder Jason Bay. The paper suggests that while the Mariners have some concerns about both Bay’s outfield defense as well as the potential impact of Safeco Field on his offensive production, his presence as an impact middle-of-the-order bat might allow them to surmount those concerns. It is worth noting that Mariners left fielders had, far and away, the worst OPS of any club in baseball at that position (.609), and that the Sox led the majors in that category with a .913 OPS that was largely due to Bay’s performance.
The report (by Mariners beat writer Geoff Baker) goes on to suggest, “I’ve heard from folks in the Seattle area that Bay (who lives in Kirkland) has been telling people he’s optimistic about signing here.”
In the past, Bay has expressed interest in playing in Seattle, given his roots (and current residence) in the Pacific Northwest.
Bay’s agent, Joe Urbon, told WEEI.com in an email earlier this week that while he is in dialogue with other clubs, “the Red Sox have remained in contact with me and I see no reason why that communication won’t continue.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston