Report: M’s Making ‘Concerted Push’ for Bay
|12.03.09 at 1:17 pm ET|
According to a report in the Seattle Times, the Mariners are making a “concerted push” for free-agent outfielder Jason Bay. The paper suggests that while the Mariners have some concerns about both Bay’s outfield defense as well as the potential impact of Safeco Field on his offensive production, his presence as an impact middle-of-the-order bat might allow them to surmount those concerns. It is worth noting that Mariners left fielders had, far and away, the worst OPS of any club in baseball at that position (.609), and that the Sox led the majors in that category with a .913 OPS that was largely due to Bay’s performance.
The report (by Mariners beat writer Geoff Baker) goes on to suggest, “I’ve heard from folks in the Seattle area that Bay (who lives in Kirkland) has been telling people he’s optimistic about signing here.”
In the past, Bay has expressed interest in playing in Seattle, given his roots (and current residence) in the Pacific Northwest.
Bay’s agent, Joe Urbon, told WEEI.com in an email earlier this week that while he is in dialogue with other clubs, “the Red Sox have remained in contact with me and I see no reason why that communication won’t continue.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Boston Red Sox: Ranking the Top 10 Prospects Ahead of Spring Training
- Red Sox Spring Training 2017 Preview: Predictions, Players to Watch and...
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016