Report: M’s Making ‘Concerted Push’ for Bay
|12.03.09 at 1:17 pm ET|
According to a report in the Seattle Times, the Mariners are making a “concerted push” for free-agent outfielder Jason Bay. The paper suggests that while the Mariners have some concerns about both Bay’s outfield defense as well as the potential impact of Safeco Field on his offensive production, his presence as an impact middle-of-the-order bat might allow them to surmount those concerns. It is worth noting that Mariners left fielders had, far and away, the worst OPS of any club in baseball at that position (.609), and that the Sox led the majors in that category with a .913 OPS that was largely due to Bay’s performance.
The report (by Mariners beat writer Geoff Baker) goes on to suggest, “I’ve heard from folks in the Seattle area that Bay (who lives in Kirkland) has been telling people he’s optimistic about signing here.”
In the past, Bay has expressed interest in playing in Seattle, given his roots (and current residence) in the Pacific Northwest.
Bay’s agent, Joe Urbon, told WEEI.com in an email earlier this week that while he is in dialogue with other clubs, “the Red Sox have remained in contact with me and I see no reason why that communication won’t continue.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut