Hoyer: ‘Level of Comfort’ in Potential Deals With Red Sox
|12.04.09 at 6:06 pm ET|
San Diego Padres GM Jed Hoyer, who served as Red Sox Assistant GM through the 2009 season, suggested in a conference call that the Padres would have a “level of comfort” in any potential trade with the Red Sox.
Hoyer suggested that contemplating the likelihood of a trade of Adrian Gonzalez to the Sox would be “just speculation.” That said, with both Hoyer and new Assistant GM Jason McLeod (former the Red Sox amateur scouting director) in San Diego, the Padres suggest that they would have greater confidence in evaluating any players whom they might acquire from Boston in a deal that they would with another club.
“I’m obviously talking totally hypothetically. Any transaction involving the Red Sox, I think there is a level of comfort,” Hoyer said in a conference call. “Most of the players over there were drafted by Jason. For a large part of that, I was the assistant GM. Knowing the player’s background, knowing their personality, there’s a comfort level in that, and frankly, I guess, a lack of risk compared to some other transactions where you don’t have the same level of knowledge. Any transaction involving the Red Sox mentally feels more stable because you certainly know the players. Certainly, putting it in the context of Adrian, that’s just speculation, but it is true that we know those players very well.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.
- Red Sox name Mike Rikard Director of Amateur Scouting