Duchscherer’s agent, Red Sox meet
|12.07.09 at 10:44 pm ET|
The agent for pitcher Justin Duchscherer, Damon Lapa, and the Red Sox met Sunday night at the Indianapolis Marriott, discussing the free agent hurler. Duchscherer, a Type B free agent, declined arbitration from the Oakland A’s, Monday.
The 32-year-old had made $3.9 million with the A’s in 2009, a season in which he struggled with clinical depression after having to rehab from operations on his hip and pitching elbow. In 2008 the righty had gone 10-8 with a 2.54 ERA, making the American League All-Star team, before being sidelined by a hip ailment similar to the one Red Sox’ third baseman Mike Lowell dealt before having surgery following the ’08 season.
Duchscherer is believed to be ready for action from the outset of spring training, and has no interest in going back to the bullpen, where he made his first All-Star team as a set-up man for Oakland in ’05.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo