Duchscherer’s agent, Red Sox meet
|12.07.09 at 10:44 pm ET|
The agent for pitcher Justin Duchscherer, Damon Lapa, and the Red Sox met Sunday night at the Indianapolis Marriott, discussing the free agent hurler. Duchscherer, a Type B free agent, declined arbitration from the Oakland A’s, Monday.
The 32-year-old had made $3.9 million with the A’s in 2009, a season in which he struggled with clinical depression after having to rehab from operations on his hip and pitching elbow. In 2008 the righty had gone 10-8 with a 2.54 ERA, making the American League All-Star team, before being sidelined by a hip ailment similar to the one Red Sox’ third baseman Mike Lowell dealt before having surgery following the ’08 season.
Duchscherer is believed to be ready for action from the outset of spring training, and has no interest in going back to the bullpen, where he made his first All-Star team as a set-up man for Oakland in ’05.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot