Duchscherer’s agent, Red Sox meet
|12.07.09 at 10:44 pm ET|
The agent for pitcher Justin Duchscherer, Damon Lapa, and the Red Sox met Sunday night at the Indianapolis Marriott, discussing the free agent hurler. Duchscherer, a Type B free agent, declined arbitration from the Oakland A’s, Monday.
The 32-year-old had made $3.9 million with the A’s in 2009, a season in which he struggled with clinical depression after having to rehab from operations on his hip and pitching elbow. In 2008 the righty had gone 10-8 with a 2.54 ERA, making the American League All-Star team, before being sidelined by a hip ailment similar to the one Red Sox’ third baseman Mike Lowell dealt before having surgery following the ’08 season.
Duchscherer is believed to be ready for action from the outset of spring training, and has no interest in going back to the bullpen, where he made his first All-Star team as a set-up man for Oakland in ’05.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered
- Weekly Notes: Groome signs, Espinoza traded, Marrero is All-Star MVP
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Hill rakes in Lowell loss
- Cup of Coffee: Basabe reaches base four times for Greenville