Nationals Relucant to Trade Willingham
|12.07.09 at 2:20 pm ET|
The Red Sox have long been rumored to have interest in outfielder Josh Willingham, a corner outfielder who exhibits both power and patience. If the team does not sign either Jason Bay or Matt Holliday in free agency, Willingham — who hit .260 with a .367 OBP, .863 OPS, 24 homers and 61 RBIs in 133 games last year for the Nationals, could be an intriguing target.
Even so, Nationals manager Jim Riggelman made clear that Washington is far from eager to move the 30-year-old, who won’t be available in free agency until after the 2012 season.
“He’s not just a good player, he’s a great person,” said Riggelman. “Tough guy. All man. … He’s big in our lineup. When you have a guy like him, he fits a lot of teams’ needs. We don’t have any desire to move Willingham — believe me. But he’s a guy a lot of teams call about, because he doesn’t have an exorbitant salary ($2.95 million in 2009). … Teams are going to be interested in him. My guess is that he’ll be our left fielder. Again, if between now and opening day a team overwhelms us, you’d have to listen.”
Riggelman did say that he planned to give Willingham more rest next season. The outfielder wore down in the later phases of the season. After he hit .307/.415/.588/1.003 through Aug. 18, he hit .153/.253/.290/.543 over his last 38 games.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles