Nationals Relucant to Trade Willingham
|12.07.09 at 2:20 pm ET|
The Red Sox have long been rumored to have interest in outfielder Josh Willingham, a corner outfielder who exhibits both power and patience. If the team does not sign either Jason Bay or Matt Holliday in free agency, Willingham — who hit .260 with a .367 OBP, .863 OPS, 24 homers and 61 RBIs in 133 games last year for the Nationals, could be an intriguing target.
Even so, Nationals manager Jim Riggelman made clear that Washington is far from eager to move the 30-year-old, who won’t be available in free agency until after the 2012 season.
“He’s not just a good player, he’s a great person,” said Riggelman. “Tough guy. All man. … He’s big in our lineup. When you have a guy like him, he fits a lot of teams’ needs. We don’t have any desire to move Willingham — believe me. But he’s a guy a lot of teams call about, because he doesn’t have an exorbitant salary ($2.95 million in 2009). … Teams are going to be interested in him. My guess is that he’ll be our left fielder. Again, if between now and opening day a team overwhelms us, you’d have to listen.”
Riggelman did say that he planned to give Willingham more rest next season. The outfielder wore down in the later phases of the season. After he hit .307/.415/.588/1.003 through Aug. 18, he hit .153/.253/.290/.543 over his last 38 games.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome