|Rumor Mill at this hour: 1 p.m.||12.07.09 at 12:59 pm ET|
Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News is tweeting that former Red Sox starter Brad Penny is closing in a deal with the Cardinals. Terms of the deal are not yet known.
After earlier reports that Andy Pettitte had rejected an offer from the Yankees, Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News is tweeting that the team never made an offer but is planning to today. Buster Olney says the deal will be worth more than $11 million.
Derek Lowe and Javier Vazquez could both be available, tweets Steve Henson, but the Braves won’t part with Kenshin Kawakami.
SI’s Jon Paul Morosi is reporting the Pirates and Tigers have both expressed interest in free agent shortstop Adam Everett. The 32-year-old is reportedly seeking a one-year deal for “around $3 million,” according to Morosi.
After an earlier report suggested Brian Bruney was on his way to Atlanta, Joel Sherman is tweeting that the Yankees have sent the right-handed reliever to the Nationals for a player to be named later.
Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star names the Giants, Mariners, and Rockies as the teams that are pursuing 31-year-old free agent catcher Miguel Olivo.
- Cup of Coffee: Spring's walk-off grand slam lifts Portland
- Bradley: "Everything's back to normal"
- Cup of Coffee: PawSox, Drive produce walk-off wins
- PawSox activate Jackie Bradley, Jr. from disabled list
- Weekly Notes: De La Rosa, Betts take center stage
- Cup of Coffee: Shaw leads 18-hit attack in Sea Dogs rout
- Cup of Coffee: Gedman, big Salem seventh key system’s only win
- Christian Vazquez’s new focus at the plate starting to pay off
- Cup of Coffee: Augliera dominant in Salem victory
- Players of the Week, May 6-12: Rubby De La Rosa and Mookie Betts