Red Sox claim the ‘other’ Ramon Ramirez
|12.08.09 at 6:13 pm ET|
The Sox claimed Ramon A. Ramirez off release waivers from the Tampa Bay Rays and will be notified if they are awarded the claim Wednesday. Ramirez had been claimed off outright waivers by the Rays after being with the Cincinnati Reds.
The 27-year-old, who like his Red Sox relieving namesake, Ramon Santo Ramirez, throws from the right side, has pitched in 16 games, 11 coming with the Reds in the 2009 season. He started four games for the Reds, finishing last season with a 1-1 records and 2.97 ERA.
Also like the Ramirez currently on the Sox’ roster, Ramon Santo Ramirez is somewhat short in stature for a pitcher, standing at 5-foot-11 and also boasts a changeup as one of his better pitches.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Top 40 in Review: Deven Marrero and Trey Ball
- Help Wanted: Writers
- Top 40 in Review: Michael Kopech and Sean Coyle
- Top 40 in Review: Wendell Rijo and Edwin Escobar
- Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Shaw and Sam Travis
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Marrero dominates in AFL
- Top 40 in Review: Nick Longhi and Teddy Stankiewicz
- Top 40 in Review: Heath Hembree and Steven Wright
- Top 40 Season in Review: Javier Guerra and Henry Ramos
- Top 40 in Review: Simon Mercedes and Carlos Asuaje