Red Sox claim the ‘other’ Ramon Ramirez
|12.08.09 at 6:13 pm ET|
The Sox claimed Ramon A. Ramirez off release waivers from the Tampa Bay Rays and will be notified if they are awarded the claim Wednesday. Ramirez had been claimed off outright waivers by the Rays after being with the Cincinnati Reds.
The 27-year-old, who like his Red Sox relieving namesake, Ramon Santo Ramirez, throws from the right side, has pitched in 16 games, 11 coming with the Reds in the 2009 season. He started four games for the Reds, finishing last season with a 1-1 records and 2.97 ERA.
Also like the Ramirez currently on the Sox’ roster, Ramon Santo Ramirez is somewhat short in stature for a pitcher, standing at 5-foot-11 and also boasts a changeup as one of his better pitches.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller