Lobby buzz about Mike Lowell
|12.09.09 at 10:04 am ET|
INDIANAPOLIS — According to sources in the hotel lobby at the Indianpolis Marriott, the Red Sox continue to inquire with teams about their interest in third baseman Mike Lowell. The belief is that the Red Sox might be trying to position themselves to make a run at free agent third baseman Adrian Beltre.
FoxSports.com wrote Tuesday night that the Rangers were at least considering the prospect of acquiring Lowell to play first base and be a designated hitter, although he doesn’t appear to be at top of their list to fill the position. Lowell has played in just four games at first during his professional career, all coming during the 1999 season with Triple A Columbus.
Lowell did tell WEEI.com that he believed he could play first base, and would attempt it if the team asked. ‘I wouldn’t rule it out, absolutely not,’ he said. ‘I’m a realist. If they think that makes us a better defensive team, that’s fine. I don’t have a major problem with that. I would have to work on it. I think Triple A was probably the last time I played first. I played for about three or four games. But that doesn’t mean I think I can’t do it. But I haven’t been asked.’
According to the Seattle Times, the Mariners are ruling out bringing back the 29-year-old Beltre — a Type A free agent who is represented by Scott Boras — back. If they were able to re-sign the third baseman, the belief is Seattle would play newly-acquired Chone Figgins at second base.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- With new delivery honed, Haley looks to build on breakout season
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers