Lobby buzz about Mike Lowell
|12.09.09 at 10:04 am ET|
INDIANAPOLIS — According to sources in the hotel lobby at the Indianpolis Marriott, the Red Sox continue to inquire with teams about their interest in third baseman Mike Lowell. The belief is that the Red Sox might be trying to position themselves to make a run at free agent third baseman Adrian Beltre.
FoxSports.com wrote Tuesday night that the Rangers were at least considering the prospect of acquiring Lowell to play first base and be a designated hitter, although he doesn’t appear to be at top of their list to fill the position. Lowell has played in just four games at first during his professional career, all coming during the 1999 season with Triple A Columbus.
Lowell did tell WEEI.com that he believed he could play first base, and would attempt it if the team asked. ‘I wouldn’t rule it out, absolutely not,’ he said. ‘I’m a realist. If they think that makes us a better defensive team, that’s fine. I don’t have a major problem with that. I would have to work on it. I think Triple A was probably the last time I played first. I played for about three or four games. But that doesn’t mean I think I can’t do it. But I haven’t been asked.’
According to the Seattle Times, the Mariners are ruling out bringing back the 29-year-old Beltre — a Type A free agent who is represented by Scott Boras — back. If they were able to re-sign the third baseman, the belief is Seattle would play newly-acquired Chone Figgins at second base.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington