Padres Expect to Start ’10 With Gonzalez
|12.09.09 at 4:03 pm ET|
INDIANAPOLIS — Padres manager Bud Black said that he expects that slugging first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, the subject of numerous trade rumors in recent months, still be in San Diego at the start of the 2010 season. The Padres have had enough conversations with their All-Star that Black has not considered it necessary to touch base with him this offseason.
“Do I anticipate [him being with the club in 2010]? Yes,” said Black, who went on to explain that he does not anticipate any on-field impact to Gonzalez from life in the rumor mill.
“I think we had enough discussions about it dating back to the summer and a few times as the season moved into the later months. He’s been around long enough. He’s been traded a couple of times. He’s got a great advisor in John Boggs. I think there’s been enough open dialogue between the Padres front office and Adrian. I’ve given him my spiel. I’m sure he’s had some conversations with players about the whole thing. He’s aware of what’s going on, and I don’t suspect that it will affect him in his on-field performance.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Garin Cecchini and Yoan Aybar
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis blasts walk-off home run
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Chandler Shepherd and Kyle Martin