Padres Expect to Start ’10 With Gonzalez
|12.09.09 at 4:03 pm ET|
INDIANAPOLIS — Padres manager Bud Black said that he expects that slugging first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, the subject of numerous trade rumors in recent months, still be in San Diego at the start of the 2010 season. The Padres have had enough conversations with their All-Star that Black has not considered it necessary to touch base with him this offseason.
“Do I anticipate [him being with the club in 2010]? Yes,” said Black, who went on to explain that he does not anticipate any on-field impact to Gonzalez from life in the rumor mill.
“I think we had enough discussions about it dating back to the summer and a few times as the season moved into the later months. He’s been around long enough. He’s been traded a couple of times. He’s got a great advisor in John Boggs. I think there’s been enough open dialogue between the Padres front office and Adrian. I’ve given him my spiel. I’m sure he’s had some conversations with players about the whole thing. He’s aware of what’s going on, and I don’t suspect that it will affect him in his on-field performance.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Writers
- Top 40 in Review: Michael Kopech and Sean Coyle
- Top 40 in Review: Wendell Rijo and Edwin Escobar
- Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Shaw and Sam Travis
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Marrero dominates in AFL
- Top 40 in Review: Nick Longhi and Teddy Stankiewicz
- Top 40 in Review: Heath Hembree and Steven Wright
- Top 40 Season in Review: Javier Guerra and Henry Ramos
- Top 40 in Review: Simon Mercedes and Carlos Asuaje
- Top 40 Season in Review: Anderson Espinoza and Alex Hassan