Padres Expect to Start ’10 With Gonzalez
|12.09.09 at 4:03 pm ET|
INDIANAPOLIS — Padres manager Bud Black said that he expects that slugging first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, the subject of numerous trade rumors in recent months, still be in San Diego at the start of the 2010 season. The Padres have had enough conversations with their All-Star that Black has not considered it necessary to touch base with him this offseason.
“Do I anticipate [him being with the club in 2010]? Yes,” said Black, who went on to explain that he does not anticipate any on-field impact to Gonzalez from life in the rumor mill.
“I think we had enough discussions about it dating back to the summer and a few times as the season moved into the later months. He’s been around long enough. He’s been traded a couple of times. He’s got a great advisor in John Boggs. I think there’s been enough open dialogue between the Padres front office and Adrian. I’ve given him my spiel. I’m sure he’s had some conversations with players about the whole thing. He’s aware of what’s going on, and I don’t suspect that it will affect him in his on-field performance.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks, Dubon debut at Double-A, Lowell wins again
- Sources: Mauricio Dubon promoted to Portland
- Scouting Scratch: Michael Kopech
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada stays hot in Portland; Lowell improves to 6-0
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada makes Double-A debut; Owens dominates for PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Holt doubles twice in first rehab appearance
- Weekly Notes: Moncada promoted, Kopech debuts, and Salem claims Southern Division first-half title