|Padres Expect to Start ’10 With Gonzalez||12.09.09 at 4:03 pm ET|
INDIANAPOLIS — Padres manager Bud Black said that he expects that slugging first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, the subject of numerous trade rumors in recent months, still be in San Diego at the start of the 2010 season. The Padres have had enough conversations with their All-Star that Black has not considered it necessary to touch base with him this offseason.
“Do I anticipate [him being with the club in 2010]? Yes,” said Black, who went on to explain that he does not anticipate any on-field impact to Gonzalez from life in the rumor mill.
“I think we had enough discussions about it dating back to the summer and a few times as the season moved into the later months. He’s been around long enough. He’s been traded a couple of times. He’s got a great advisor in John Boggs. I think there’s been enough open dialogue between the Padres front office and Adrian. I’ve given him my spiel. I’m sure he’s had some conversations with players about the whole thing. He’s aware of what’s going on, and I don’t suspect that it will affect him in his on-field performance.”
- Red Sox sign 1st-round pick Trey Ball (UPDATED)
- Cup of Coffee: Shaw, Haeger help Sea Dogs earn split
- Players of the Week, June 10-16: Keury De La Cruz and Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox reportedly sign 12th-rounder Jake Drehoff
- Wendelken added to South Atlantic League All-Stars
- Red Sox reportedly sign Bryan Hudson, Jantzen Witte
- Cup of Coffee: Spinners open season with 15-strikeout gem
- SoxProspects Video of the Week: A-Ball hitters
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #39.1: Mellen's Excellent Adventure
- 2013 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!