Rangers Interested in Lowell
|12.09.09 at 8:56 pm ET|
INDIANAPOLIS — A major-league source confirmed that the Rangers are interested in acquiring Mike Lowell, but they would only be able to do so if the Red Sox picked up most of his salary. According to the source, Texas would consider using Lowell at first base (spelling Chris Davis), third base (sharing time with Michael Young) and as a designated hitter. WEEI.com reported earlier that the Rangers and Red Sox had talked about Texas’ acquisition of Lowell, with one source citing it as “possible, but not close”.
The Rangers were a potential trading partner last year for the Sox due to their catching surplus. However, the team is not in position to deal either Jarrod Saltalamacchia or Taylor Teagarden, feeling it needs to have both to handle catching duties. Max Ramirez, who is in the Venezuelan Winter League to get some playing time after missing a hearty chunk of the year with wrist injuries, could be another story. Ramirez is hitting .236/.355/.461/.815 in Venezuela, and is tied for the league lead in homers with 11. He is viewed as a good hitting prospect, though his defense behind the plate is considered insufficient for an everyday role.
The Rangers did clear some payroll by dealing right-hander Kevin Millwood to the Orioles, but Texas is expected to use the diminished payroll to pursue pitching, perhaps Rich Harden. Hence, with a limited budget, the need to have most of Lowell’s salary picked up.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Updating the scouting reports - stage two complete
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster