Rangers Interested in Lowell
|12.09.09 at 8:56 pm ET|
INDIANAPOLIS — A major-league source confirmed that the Rangers are interested in acquiring Mike Lowell, but they would only be able to do so if the Red Sox picked up most of his salary. According to the source, Texas would consider using Lowell at first base (spelling Chris Davis), third base (sharing time with Michael Young) and as a designated hitter. WEEI.com reported earlier that the Rangers and Red Sox had talked about Texas’ acquisition of Lowell, with one source citing it as “possible, but not close”.
The Rangers were a potential trading partner last year for the Sox due to their catching surplus. However, the team is not in position to deal either Jarrod Saltalamacchia or Taylor Teagarden, feeling it needs to have both to handle catching duties. Max Ramirez, who is in the Venezuelan Winter League to get some playing time after missing a hearty chunk of the year with wrist injuries, could be another story. Ramirez is hitting .236/.355/.461/.815 in Venezuela, and is tied for the league lead in homers with 11. He is viewed as a good hitting prospect, though his defense behind the plate is considered insufficient for an everyday role.
The Rangers did clear some payroll by dealing right-hander Kevin Millwood to the Orioles, but Texas is expected to use the diminished payroll to pursue pitching, perhaps Rich Harden. Hence, with a limited budget, the need to have most of Lowell’s salary picked up.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis blasts walk-off home run
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Chandler Shepherd and Kyle Martin
- Podcast Ep. 88: Breaking down the Kimbrel trade