Agent: Bay Prepared to “Move On” After Rejecting Red Sox Offer
|12.12.09 at 4:35 pm ET|
“We’ve turned down the Red Sox offer,” Urbon said. “We have other offers on the table that are better than we have from the Red Sox and unless the Red Sox are willing to move off their offer we’re prepared to move on.”
When asked if he was surprised at the course the negotiations have taken, Urbon responded, “No.” The agent did leave the window open for the potential of the Red Sox getting back into the hunt with another other, and did not say that there was any sort of timetable set for an agreement to be reached.
According to a major league source, there is one team that has extended past the four years thought to be offered by the Red Sox.
The Mets proposed a four-year deal of more than $60 million and less than $65 million on Thursday. The last reported Red Sox offer was for four years and $60 million. On WEEI’s The Big Show on Friday, Peter Gammons said that the Giants were willing to go to five years, although Gammons also said that Bay simply did not want to go to San Francisco.
FoxSports.com was the first to report that the Bay camp was turning down the Red Sox’ latest offer.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza ties Drive K record in dominant outing
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero powers PawSox past IronPigs
- April Players of the Month: Andrew Benintendi and Teddy Stankiewicz
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada hits grand slam to lead Salem sweep
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas and Maxwell lead the PawSox
- Podcast Ep. 95: One month in, start it up again
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts