Agent: Bay Prepared to “Move On” After Rejecting Red Sox Offer
|12.12.09 at 4:35 pm ET|
“We’ve turned down the Red Sox offer,” Urbon said. “We have other offers on the table that are better than we have from the Red Sox and unless the Red Sox are willing to move off their offer we’re prepared to move on.”
When asked if he was surprised at the course the negotiations have taken, Urbon responded, “No.” The agent did leave the window open for the potential of the Red Sox getting back into the hunt with another other, and did not say that there was any sort of timetable set for an agreement to be reached.
According to a major league source, there is one team that has extended past the four years thought to be offered by the Red Sox.
The Mets proposed a four-year deal of more than $60 million and less than $65 million on Thursday. The last reported Red Sox offer was for four years and $60 million. On WEEI’s The Big Show on Friday, Peter Gammons said that the Giants were willing to go to five years, although Gammons also said that Bay simply did not want to go to San Francisco.
FoxSports.com was the first to report that the Bay camp was turning down the Red Sox’ latest offer.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester
- Swihart learning to catch the knuckler in Pawtucket
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 7: Low Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz walks off for PawSox home opener
- Cup of Coffee: Jackie Bradley Jr. continues hot start, Pawtucket falls in doubleheader
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 6: Mid-Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Margot, Longhi, and Cecchini provide the power
- Podcast Ep. 73: Scout Talk and Season's Start
- Cup of Coffee: Abbreviated 2015 debuts for Kopech, Barnes
- Weekly Notes: Let the games begin