Agent: Bay Prepared to “Move On” After Rejecting Red Sox Offer
|12.12.09 at 4:35 pm ET|
“We’ve turned down the Red Sox offer,” Urbon said. “We have other offers on the table that are better than we have from the Red Sox and unless the Red Sox are willing to move off their offer we’re prepared to move on.”
When asked if he was surprised at the course the negotiations have taken, Urbon responded, “No.” The agent did leave the window open for the potential of the Red Sox getting back into the hunt with another other, and did not say that there was any sort of timetable set for an agreement to be reached.
According to a major league source, there is one team that has extended past the four years thought to be offered by the Red Sox.
The Mets proposed a four-year deal of more than $60 million and less than $65 million on Thursday. The last reported Red Sox offer was for four years and $60 million. On WEEI’s The Big Show on Friday, Peter Gammons said that the Giants were willing to go to five years, although Gammons also said that Bay simply did not want to go to San Francisco.
FoxSports.com was the first to report that the Bay camp was turning down the Red Sox’ latest offer.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- Scouting Scratch: Rafael Devers
- System Restart '17: Low-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Sexton allows one hit over six innings for Greenville
- System Restart '17: Mid-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd, Rei highlight quiet night in system
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Shawaryn strikes out nine as Drive cruise
- Minor Notes: Workman dominant in PawSox bullpen
- The Write-Up: Jalen Beeks
- Cup of Coffee: Olt leads Sea Dogs to walkoff win