Sources: Rangers to examine Lowell
|12.14.09 at 12:54 am ET|
According to sources familiar with the situation, the Texas Rangers will be examining Mike Lowell’s left thumb in-person at some point this week. One source confirmed that the deal that would send the third baseman to Texas (along with $9 million of his $12 million 2010 salary) for minor league catcher/first baseman Max Ramirez will not be completed until the Rangers examine Lowell. No scheduled meeting had been arranged as of Sunday night.
The condition of the thumb is a sufficiently significant question that it — along with at least one other issue unrelated to either player’s physical condition — is holding up the trade’s completion. The Red Sox are also in the process of evaluating the health of Ramirez’ wrists, both of which he had issues with in the ’09 season.
Lowell has a history of problems with his left thumb, most recently having injured it at the end of the ’09 regular season, playing a role in him missing the final series of the season before playing the American League Division Series with the thumb taped. The 35-year-old also went on the 15-day disabled list after injuring the thumb in the Red Sox’ first home game of the ’08 season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Owens, others struggle on mound
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza dominates in mid-week matinee
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez fires seven strong innings in rehab start
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras