Sources: Rangers to examine Lowell
|12.14.09 at 12:54 am ET|
According to sources familiar with the situation, the Texas Rangers will be examining Mike Lowell’s left thumb in-person at some point this week. One source confirmed that the deal that would send the third baseman to Texas (along with $9 million of his $12 million 2010 salary) for minor league catcher/first baseman Max Ramirez will not be completed until the Rangers examine Lowell. No scheduled meeting had been arranged as of Sunday night.
The condition of the thumb is a sufficiently significant question that it — along with at least one other issue unrelated to either player’s physical condition — is holding up the trade’s completion. The Red Sox are also in the process of evaluating the health of Ramirez’ wrists, both of which he had issues with in the ’09 season.
Lowell has a history of problems with his left thumb, most recently having injured it at the end of the ’09 regular season, playing a role in him missing the final series of the season before playing the American League Division Series with the thumb taped. The 35-year-old also went on the 15-day disabled list after injuring the thumb in the Red Sox’ first home game of the ’08 season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies