Sources: Rangers to examine Lowell
|12.14.09 at 12:54 am ET|
According to sources familiar with the situation, the Texas Rangers will be examining Mike Lowell’s left thumb in-person at some point this week. One source confirmed that the deal that would send the third baseman to Texas (along with $9 million of his $12 million 2010 salary) for minor league catcher/first baseman Max Ramirez will not be completed until the Rangers examine Lowell. No scheduled meeting had been arranged as of Sunday night.
The condition of the thumb is a sufficiently significant question that it — along with at least one other issue unrelated to either player’s physical condition — is holding up the trade’s completion. The Red Sox are also in the process of evaluating the health of Ramirez’ wrists, both of which he had issues with in the ’09 season.
Lowell has a history of problems with his left thumb, most recently having injured it at the end of the ’09 regular season, playing a role in him missing the final series of the season before playing the American League Division Series with the thumb taped. The 35-year-old also went on the 15-day disabled list after injuring the thumb in the Red Sox’ first home game of the ’08 season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered
- Weekly Notes: Groome signs, Espinoza traded, Marrero is All-Star MVP
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Hill rakes in Lowell loss
- Cup of Coffee: Basabe reaches base four times for Greenville