Sources: Rangers to examine Lowell
|12.14.09 at 12:54 am ET|
According to sources familiar with the situation, the Texas Rangers will be examining Mike Lowell’s left thumb in-person at some point this week. One source confirmed that the deal that would send the third baseman to Texas (along with $9 million of his $12 million 2010 salary) for minor league catcher/first baseman Max Ramirez will not be completed until the Rangers examine Lowell. No scheduled meeting had been arranged as of Sunday night.
The condition of the thumb is a sufficiently significant question that it — along with at least one other issue unrelated to either player’s physical condition — is holding up the trade’s completion. The Red Sox are also in the process of evaluating the health of Ramirez’ wrists, both of which he had issues with in the ’09 season.
Lowell has a history of problems with his left thumb, most recently having injured it at the end of the ’09 regular season, playing a role in him missing the final series of the season before playing the American League Division Series with the thumb taped. The 35-year-old also went on the 15-day disabled list after injuring the thumb in the Red Sox’ first home game of the ’08 season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler