Youk, Cashman win Boston writer awards
|12.23.09 at 12:51 pm ET|
Kevin Youkilis has been selected as the 2009 winner of the Thomas A. Yawkey Memorial Award as Red Sox Most Valuable Player in voting done by the Boston Chapter of the Baseball Writers Association of America.
The two-time All-Star hit .305 (150-for-491) with 27 homers, 94 RBI and 99 runs scored in 2009 while splitting time in the field between first base and third base. He finished second in the American League in on-base percentage (.413) and OPS (.961) and fifth in slugging (.548).
Youkilis played more than half of his games at first base and becomes the club’s first MVP at that position since Mo Vaughn in 1996.
Tickets for the January 14 dinner, to be held at the Westin Waterfront Hotel in Boston, are available for $150 each by sending a check to Boston Chapter-BBWAA, PO Box 7346, Nashua NH, 03060.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Garin Cecchini and Yoan Aybar
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis blasts walk-off home run
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Chandler Shepherd and Kyle Martin