Youk, Cashman win Boston writer awards
|12.23.09 at 12:51 pm ET|
Kevin Youkilis has been selected as the 2009 winner of the Thomas A. Yawkey Memorial Award as Red Sox Most Valuable Player in voting done by the Boston Chapter of the Baseball Writers Association of America.
The two-time All-Star hit .305 (150-for-491) with 27 homers, 94 RBI and 99 runs scored in 2009 while splitting time in the field between first base and third base. He finished second in the American League in on-base percentage (.413) and OPS (.961) and fifth in slugging (.548).
Youkilis played more than half of his games at first base and becomes the club’s first MVP at that position since Mo Vaughn in 1996.
Tickets for the January 14 dinner, to be held at the Westin Waterfront Hotel in Boston, are available for $150 each by sending a check to Boston Chapter-BBWAA, PO Box 7346, Nashua NH, 03060.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates