Bay agreed to deal back on Christmas
|01.03.10 at 8:32 pm ET|
According to a source with knowledge of the negotiations, free agent outfielder Jason Bay agreed to his deal with the Mets on Christmas Day, four days before it was initially reported.
The agreement is for four years and $66 million with a vesting fifth-year option that could bring the total to more than $80 million. While the financial figures for the deal was slightly more than the Mets’ original offer to Bay, the option year was in the proposal from the outset.
A team source with the Red Sox had told WEEI.com that in the days leading up to Christmas the Sox were internally discussing adjusting their organizational budget to potentially take another run at Bay — with the price for the outfielder thought be be coming down — but never reached the point of topping the Mets’ offer.
Four days before Christmas Mets’ GM Omar Minaya was quoted by New York Sports Day at the ninth annual “21 Days of Clemente”, an event honoring the late Roberto Clemente, as saying, “We are pursuing Matt Holliday. It seems to be easier to make a deal for Jason Bay.” Bay will undergo his physical in New York Monday.
Alex Speier contributed to this report
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo