Bay agreed to deal back on Christmas
|01.03.10 at 8:32 pm ET|
According to a source with knowledge of the negotiations, free agent outfielder Jason Bay agreed to his deal with the Mets on Christmas Day, four days before it was initially reported.
The agreement is for four years and $66 million with a vesting fifth-year option that could bring the total to more than $80 million. While the financial figures for the deal was slightly more than the Mets’ original offer to Bay, the option year was in the proposal from the outset.
A team source with the Red Sox had told WEEI.com that in the days leading up to Christmas the Sox were internally discussing adjusting their organizational budget to potentially take another run at Bay — with the price for the outfielder thought be be coming down — but never reached the point of topping the Mets’ offer.
Four days before Christmas Mets’ GM Omar Minaya was quoted by New York Sports Day at the ninth annual “21 Days of Clemente”, an event honoring the late Roberto Clemente, as saying, “We are pursuing Matt Holliday. It seems to be easier to make a deal for Jason Bay.” Bay will undergo his physical in New York Monday.
Alex Speier contributed to this report
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven