Red Sox Agree to Terms with Beltre
|01.04.10 at 7:49 pm ET|
WEEI.com has confirmed reports that the Red Sox and free-agent third baseman Adrian Beltre have agreed on a one-year, $9 million deal that includes a $5 million player option in 2011. The terms were first reported by Peter Gammons (via Twitter).
There is also an escalator clause in the contract that could increase the value of the player option based on the number of plate appearances. By virtue of the inclusion of the player option, the Red Sox’ luxury tax hit will be diminished. Rather than being calculated as a $9 million salary for the purposes of the collective bargaining tax in 2010, Beltre’s deal will be interpreted as being worth $7 million against the $170 million threshold for the 2010 season.
The 30-year-old Beltre played in 111 games with Seattle last season, hitting .265 with eight homers. The three previous seasons, Beltre clubbed 25, 26, and 25 home runs, respectively. Beltre is known as one of the best defensive third basemen in the game, which is one of the major reasons he was targeted by the Red Sox.
‘[Beltre is] clearly the best [third baseman] I’ve ever seen in person,’ Tampa Bay Rays manager Joe Maddon told WEEI.com earlier this offseason. ‘I think [Evan Longoria] is good, I used to think Scott Brosius was really good. ‘¦ [Eric] Chavez was good, but Beltre was stupid good. I think Beltre is the best who I’ve ever seen with my two eyes ‘ defender, not just third baseman, but defense.’
A source familiar with the negotiations also classified the rumored swap of Sox third baseman Mike Lowell and Mets second baseman Luis Castillo as not close.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins