Bill Hall to Red Sox in Kotchman Deal
|01.05.10 at 6:20 pm ET|
A baseball source said that Bill Hall would be going from the Mariners to the Red Sox in the Casey Kotchman deal, describing his inclusion in the agreement between the clubs as “a done deal.” Hall will be sent to the Sox along with a player to be named and cash for Kotchman.
Hall would be a useful role player for the Sox given his ability to play multiple infield (short and third) and outfield positions. And, as a right-handed hitter with pull power, he would be a good complement to a Sox team that features three left-handed outfielders (starters J.D. Drew and Jacoby Ellsbury, and backup Jeremy Hermida) along with the right-handed Mike Cameron.
In 2009, Hall had six homers and 24 RBI with a .201 batting average over 76 games before finishing the season in Seattle. With the Mariners, he had two homers and 12 RBI to go along with a .200 average over the final 34 games of the year. Over the course of his eight-year career, Hall has a .251 batting average, along with 104 homers and 379 RBI.
Hall is due $8.4M, the last of a four-year, $24M deal. Were the Mariners to pick up most of his salary ‘ something they could do with the $7-8M received from the Brewers when they dealt for Hall last summer ‘ Hall could help the Sox’ luxury tax numbers quite a bit. He would represent a savings of about $1.5 for the purposes of luxury tax calculations. That, along with the roughly $3.5M saved by dealing Casey Kotchman, is what allowed the Sox to sign Adrian Beltre with a minimal luxury tax hit.
The minor-league player to be named in the deal will be just that — the Sox will evaluate a group of Mariners prospects in spring training before selecting one as a player in return.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers
- The Write-Up: More from the Fort
- Teddy Stankiewicz debuted streamlined delivery in first spring outing