Beltre Contract Details
|01.07.10 at 7:32 pm ET|
Adrian Beltre’s one-year, $9 million contract with a $5 million player option for 2011, which was finalized today after the third baseman passed his physical, features a $2 million signing bonus and a $7 million salary for the coming season. There are no performance bonuses.
The contract also has a $5 million player for 2011 that could increase to $10 million in Beltre reaches 640 plate appearances. There is a conditional $1 million buyout of the player option that would be triggered if Beltre reaches 575 plate appearances.
It is also noteworthy that the Sox did not have to waive the right to offer Beltre salary arbitration — something that agent Scott Boras (and other agents) will sometimes seek for a player who is on a one-year deal, in order to give the player greater freedom when he next becomes a free agent.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell
- Podcast Ep. #104: BeninBoston
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Luis Alexander Basabe