Tony LaRussa on McGwire Admission
|01.11.10 at 6:10 pm ET|
Cardinals manager Tony LaRussa, who managed Mark McGwire for most of the slugger’s career and remained adamant over the years that the former single-season record holder for homers had not used steroids, spoke with ESPN’s Baseball Tonight on Monday about his former player’s admission that he had used steroids throughout his career. Courtesy of ESPN, here are some excerpts of the interview.
LaRussa, on his reaction to today’s news:
‘I didn’t know anything except that I knew we ran a legit program and that Mark was a good example of working his butt off and getting his strength gains as a product of hard work. I did, and still speak to his character and integrity.’
LaRussa, on his current perspective regarding McGwire as a hitting instructor and his integrity:
‘I think, as the entire circumstances come out of his usage ‘ why, when, where ‘ I think he’ll come off and regain a lot of stature that he had with fans and with his peers about being a solid pro’¦he admits he made mistakes and he’s sorry for it. We all make mistakes and at least he owns up to it.
‘He got so much criticism about his performance in (front of) Congress. One thing he did not do is lie, and I don’t think he ever would.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.
- Red Sox name Mike Rikard Director of Amateur Scouting
- Top 40 in Review: Blake Swihart