Papelbon not heading to a hearing
|01.19.10 at 2:06 pm ET|
Jonathan Papelbon has a one-year deal in place with the Red Sox that would be in the neighborhood of $9 million. (Update: The deal is for $9.35 million, with Papelbon getting a $50,000 bonus for 60 games finishes — he finished 59 in 2009.)
The parameters of the deal evidently were reached just prior to the noon deadline for the two sides to exchange arbitration figures, as was also the case last year.
Papelbon would become the highest paid closer with four-year service time, surpassing Eric Gagne’s mark of $8 million annually. Some other comparable contracts earned by four-year closers were Bobby Jenks ($7.5 million), Mariano Rivera ($7.25), and Francisco Rodriguez ($7.1). Rodriguez would make a record $10 million in his third year of arbitration eligibility.
Multiple reports also suggest relievers Manny Delcarmen and Ramon Ramirez have avoided an arbitration hearing by agreeing to one-year deals with the Red Sox. It would leave outfielder Jeremy Hermida as the only arbitration-eligible player on the Sox to not have inked a deal.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Spring training games begin
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals