Papelbon not heading to a hearing
|01.19.10 at 2:06 pm ET|
Jonathan Papelbon has a one-year deal in place with the Red Sox that would be in the neighborhood of $9 million. (Update: The deal is for $9.35 million, with Papelbon getting a $50,000 bonus for 60 games finishes — he finished 59 in 2009.)
The parameters of the deal evidently were reached just prior to the noon deadline for the two sides to exchange arbitration figures, as was also the case last year.
Papelbon would become the highest paid closer with four-year service time, surpassing Eric Gagne’s mark of $8 million annually. Some other comparable contracts earned by four-year closers were Bobby Jenks ($7.5 million), Mariano Rivera ($7.25), and Francisco Rodriguez ($7.1). Rodriguez would make a record $10 million in his third year of arbitration eligibility.
Multiple reports also suggest relievers Manny Delcarmen and Ramon Ramirez have avoided an arbitration hearing by agreeing to one-year deals with the Red Sox. It would leave outfielder Jeremy Hermida as the only arbitration-eligible player on the Sox to not have inked a deal.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles