Red Sox sign five to minor-league deals
|01.21.10 at 9:17 am ET|
According to the latest Baseball America Transactions log, the Red Sox have added five more players to minor-league deals. Those players are:
–RHP Chad Paronto: The 34-year-old right-hander and native of Haverhill, NH, appeared in six big-league games for the Astros in 2009 after producing a 1.39 ERA in 51.2 innings for Triple A Round Rock. In parts of seven big-league seasons, Paronto has appeared in 177 games (all in relief) with a 4.32 career ERA.
–RHP Scott Patterson: The 30-year-old split 2009 between the Triple A affiliates of Oakland and San Diego, forging a combined 3.96 ERA while striking out 72 in 63.2 innings. He has made four big-league appearances, all in 2008, allowing one run in 4.2 innings.
–RHP Kelvin Pichardo: Pichardo, 24, has never pitched above Double A in his professional career. The right-hander has struck out 310 batters in 295.2 innings while forging a career 3.26 ERA. He was suspended for 50 games in 2009 due to the use of a banned substance.
–2B Ray Chang: The 27-year-old Chang hit .297/.385/.414/.799 while splitting 2009 between the Pirates’ High A and Double A affiliates. Chang has spent most of his minor-league career at shortstop, but has also logged time at second and third.
–3B Christian Colonel: Third baseman Christian Colonol, 28, joins the Sox after seven years in the Colorado Rockies‘ system. He hit .279/.348/.386/.734 in Triple A last season (his second straight at that level), and is a career .285/.355/.427/.782 hitter.
The same Transactions log noted that the Sox have released right-hander Matt Goodson, shortstop Zach Borowiak and outfielder Brad Wilkerson.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas and Maxwell lead the PawSox
- Podcast Ep. 95: One month in, start it up again
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss