Red Sox sign five to minor-league deals
|01.21.10 at 9:17 am ET|
According to the latest Baseball America Transactions log, the Red Sox have added five more players to minor-league deals. Those players are:
–RHP Chad Paronto: The 34-year-old right-hander and native of Haverhill, NH, appeared in six big-league games for the Astros in 2009 after producing a 1.39 ERA in 51.2 innings for Triple A Round Rock. In parts of seven big-league seasons, Paronto has appeared in 177 games (all in relief) with a 4.32 career ERA.
–RHP Scott Patterson: The 30-year-old split 2009 between the Triple A affiliates of Oakland and San Diego, forging a combined 3.96 ERA while striking out 72 in 63.2 innings. He has made four big-league appearances, all in 2008, allowing one run in 4.2 innings.
–RHP Kelvin Pichardo: Pichardo, 24, has never pitched above Double A in his professional career. The right-hander has struck out 310 batters in 295.2 innings while forging a career 3.26 ERA. He was suspended for 50 games in 2009 due to the use of a banned substance.
–2B Ray Chang: The 27-year-old Chang hit .297/.385/.414/.799 while splitting 2009 between the Pirates’ High A and Double A affiliates. Chang has spent most of his minor-league career at shortstop, but has also logged time at second and third.
–3B Christian Colonel: Third baseman Christian Colonol, 28, joins the Sox after seven years in the Colorado Rockies‘ system. He hit .279/.348/.386/.734 in Triple A last season (his second straight at that level), and is a career .285/.355/.427/.782 hitter.
The same Transactions log noted that the Sox have released right-hander Matt Goodson, shortstop Zach Borowiak and outfielder Brad Wilkerson.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies