Red Sox sign five to minor-league deals
|01.21.10 at 9:17 am ET|
According to the latest Baseball America Transactions log, the Red Sox have added five more players to minor-league deals. Those players are:
–RHP Chad Paronto: The 34-year-old right-hander and native of Haverhill, NH, appeared in six big-league games for the Astros in 2009 after producing a 1.39 ERA in 51.2 innings for Triple A Round Rock. In parts of seven big-league seasons, Paronto has appeared in 177 games (all in relief) with a 4.32 career ERA.
–RHP Scott Patterson: The 30-year-old split 2009 between the Triple A affiliates of Oakland and San Diego, forging a combined 3.96 ERA while striking out 72 in 63.2 innings. He has made four big-league appearances, all in 2008, allowing one run in 4.2 innings.
–RHP Kelvin Pichardo: Pichardo, 24, has never pitched above Double A in his professional career. The right-hander has struck out 310 batters in 295.2 innings while forging a career 3.26 ERA. He was suspended for 50 games in 2009 due to the use of a banned substance.
–2B Ray Chang: The 27-year-old Chang hit .297/.385/.414/.799 while splitting 2009 between the Pirates’ High A and Double A affiliates. Chang has spent most of his minor-league career at shortstop, but has also logged time at second and third.
–3B Christian Colonel: Third baseman Christian Colonol, 28, joins the Sox after seven years in the Colorado Rockies‘ system. He hit .279/.348/.386/.734 in Triple A last season (his second straight at that level), and is a career .285/.355/.427/.782 hitter.
The same Transactions log noted that the Sox have released right-hander Matt Goodson, shortstop Zach Borowiak and outfielder Brad Wilkerson.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler
- Red Sox announce front office moves
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Playoffs begin, Marban pitches well in Australia
- Betts, Castillo highlight Red Sox Rookie Development Program participants