Pedroia on the Laser Show: Sox have plenty of offense
|01.25.10 at 1:43 am ET|
Dustin Pedroia, in his weekly appearance on “The Laser Show” segment of the Mut & Bradford show, took issue with the idea that the Red Sox are planning on leaning on run prevention in order to win in 2010. Pedroia insisted that the offense ‘ which finished third in the majors in 2009 with 872 runs ‘ will remain potent in the coming season.
While Jason Bay left the Red Sox in free agency, Pedroia suggested that the core of returning players has room to improve. Such improvements, in turn, could allow the Sox to have a productive lineup going forward.
“I think our team’s not just built on pitching and defense. If you look up and down our lineup ‘¦ offensively, we were third in the league in runs scored. A lot of guys are going to get better,” said Pedroia. “Jacoby [Ellsbury] had a great year last year, and we all feel he’s going to have a better year in 2010. I feel I’m going to be better in 2010 than 2009. [Kevin Youkilis] is going to be better. Everybody has a year more experience. We’re going to have [Victor Martinez] for a full year instead of a half year. There’s a lot of guys that are going to do great things. We have Marco Scutaro now, who scored 100 runs last year.
“I’m very confident in our offense. That kind of bothers me when everybody writes we’re just built on pitching and defense. Don’t get me wrong ‘ that’s what wins. You look up at the end of the year, the team that pitches the best, they’re in the playoffs or winning their division and going deep into the playoffs. A lot of teams win the World Series because of pitching and defense.
“I like our chances. We have a great team. We are going to pitch and play defense. That’s obvious. Everybody at their position who plays plays great defense. That’s huge for us. So we’ve just got to concentrate on putting good at-bats together, and we should be a great team.”
To listen to the complete interview, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven