Pedroia on the Laser Show: Sox have plenty of offense
|01.25.10 at 1:43 am ET|
Dustin Pedroia, in his weekly appearance on “The Laser Show” segment of the Mut & Bradford show, took issue with the idea that the Red Sox are planning on leaning on run prevention in order to win in 2010. Pedroia insisted that the offense ‘ which finished third in the majors in 2009 with 872 runs ‘ will remain potent in the coming season.
While Jason Bay left the Red Sox in free agency, Pedroia suggested that the core of returning players has room to improve. Such improvements, in turn, could allow the Sox to have a productive lineup going forward.
“I think our team’s not just built on pitching and defense. If you look up and down our lineup ‘¦ offensively, we were third in the league in runs scored. A lot of guys are going to get better,” said Pedroia. “Jacoby [Ellsbury] had a great year last year, and we all feel he’s going to have a better year in 2010. I feel I’m going to be better in 2010 than 2009. [Kevin Youkilis] is going to be better. Everybody has a year more experience. We’re going to have [Victor Martinez] for a full year instead of a half year. There’s a lot of guys that are going to do great things. We have Marco Scutaro now, who scored 100 runs last year.
“I’m very confident in our offense. That kind of bothers me when everybody writes we’re just built on pitching and defense. Don’t get me wrong ‘ that’s what wins. You look up at the end of the year, the team that pitches the best, they’re in the playoffs or winning their division and going deep into the playoffs. A lot of teams win the World Series because of pitching and defense.
“I like our chances. We have a great team. We are going to pitch and play defense. That’s obvious. Everybody at their position who plays plays great defense. That’s huge for us. So we’ve just got to concentrate on putting good at-bats together, and we should be a great team.”
To listen to the complete interview, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.