The three degrees of Jed Hoyer: Mark Loretta
|01.25.10 at 5:36 pm ET|
Former Red Sox second baseman Mark Loretta has announced his retirement and will serve as a special assistant to the San Diego Padres’ baseball operations staff. Loretta played for the Sox during the 2006 season, participating in 155 games and hitting .285.
The 38-year-old finished his 15-year major league career with the Dodgers, appearing in 107 games for Los Angeles in the 2009 season. Loretta had wanted to return to the Red Sox following the ’06 season, offering to take a one-year, $1 million deal from the team, but the Sox had committed to integrating Dustin Pedroia into the starting lineup.
His last hit was a pinch-hit, walk-off single that won Game 2 of the Dodgers’ National League Division Series over the Cardinals.
A few memories of Loretta:
– Him playing on one leg for most of September in 2006 while Manny Ramirez sat out. While admirable, it ultimately cost him in the free agent market with teams showing some concern regarding his drop-off (.210 in Sept.). He would ultimately sign a one-year, $2.5 million deal with Houston.
– Loretta making the All-Star team, but that was notable primarily because of what happened when he got back. While hanging out his locker before the first game back, Manny walked by and said, “Loretta, you get my stuff?” What Ramirez was referring to was the gift bag that each player has waiting for him in the locker at the All-Star Game. Ramirez, of course, had chosen not to attend the game because of an “ailment” but evidently was intent on not coming away empty-handed.
– When Josh Beckett was going through his struggles, and word had trickled out that he might be tipping his pitches, it was Loretta who the pitcher turned to when analyzing video and deciding if there was anything to the theory.
- Preliminary 'New Stars for Young Stars' lineup announced
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Big weeks for Acosta and Welch
- Gary DiSarcina named Baseball America Minor League Manager of the Year
- Red Sox non-tender Ryan Kalish, Andrew Bailey
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Jesus Loya solid at the plate in Mexico
- Help Wanted: Staff Editor, Scouts
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #48: The Slow Season
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Attention shifts to Caribbean, Jerez shining in Venezuela
- Luis Ortega traded to Brewers for reliever Burke Badenhop
- Red Sox re-sign infielder Brandon Snyder