Timlin on D&H: ‘I am [retired]’
|01.28.10 at 12:47 pm ET|
Former Red Sox reliever Mike Timlin checked in with the Dale & Holley show Thursday morning and said he is done with baseball. “This past summer I had signed with the Rockies,” the 43-year-old workhorse said. “I talked to [general manager] Dan O’Dowd, and the timing didn’t work out. I was throwing the ball really well ‘ still had a good cutter, still had a good fastball, good sinker. The timing just wasn’t right. They didn’t need a short guy, they needed a long guy. I wasn’t willing to just hang around the minor leagues. I’ve done that for a while, and I’m good with that. I was happy being home.”
When asked by guest host Lou Merloni if he was retired, Timlin responded: “Yeah, I am.” Referring to last season’s comeback attempt with Colorado, he said: “My family was fine with it, my body was fine, and God said, ‘Look, it’s not the time.’ I can basically look at the door and close it and be happy and turn around and do whatever I want to do. I definitely don’t have the desire to say, ‘Wow, maybe I can try one more time.’ ”
Timlin spent six years with the Red Sox, going 30-22 with a 3.76 ERA in 394 regular season games and 0-1 with a 4.11 ERA in a team-record 28 postseason appearances. He retires with 1,058 career regular-season appearances, the seventh most in big-league history.
To listen to the complete interview, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome