Timlin on D&H: ‘I am [retired]’
|01.28.10 at 12:47 pm ET|
Former Red Sox reliever Mike Timlin checked in with the Dale & Holley show Thursday morning and said he is done with baseball. “This past summer I had signed with the Rockies,” the 43-year-old workhorse said. “I talked to [general manager] Dan O’Dowd, and the timing didn’t work out. I was throwing the ball really well ‘ still had a good cutter, still had a good fastball, good sinker. The timing just wasn’t right. They didn’t need a short guy, they needed a long guy. I wasn’t willing to just hang around the minor leagues. I’ve done that for a while, and I’m good with that. I was happy being home.”
When asked by guest host Lou Merloni if he was retired, Timlin responded: “Yeah, I am.” Referring to last season’s comeback attempt with Colorado, he said: “My family was fine with it, my body was fine, and God said, ‘Look, it’s not the time.’ I can basically look at the door and close it and be happy and turn around and do whatever I want to do. I definitely don’t have the desire to say, ‘Wow, maybe I can try one more time.’ ”
Timlin spent six years with the Red Sox, going 30-22 with a 3.76 ERA in 394 regular season games and 0-1 with a 4.11 ERA in a team-record 28 postseason appearances. He retires with 1,058 career regular-season appearances, the seventh most in big-league history.
To listen to the complete interview, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers
- The Write-Up: More from the Fort