Red Sox sign catcher Gustavo Molina
|01.29.10 at 1:10 am ET|
The Red Sox have signed catcher Gustavo Molina to a minor league contract. The 27-year-old Molina — who is no relation to the catching brothers, Javier, Bengie, and Yadier Molina — spent last season in the Washington Nationals organization, playing in 72 games for Triple A Syracuse.
Molina last played in the major leagues with the New York Mets, appearing in two games in the 2008 season. The Venezuela native played in combined 17 big league games with the Orioles and White Sox in ’07. He has four hits in 34 at-bats (.118) during his time in the majors.
After 762 minor league games Molina has a career .235 batting average with 46 home runs.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Writers
- Top 40 in Review: Michael Kopech and Sean Coyle
- Top 40 in Review: Wendell Rijo and Edwin Escobar
- Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Shaw and Sam Travis
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Marrero dominates in AFL
- Top 40 in Review: Nick Longhi and Teddy Stankiewicz
- Top 40 in Review: Heath Hembree and Steven Wright
- Top 40 Season in Review: Javier Guerra and Henry Ramos
- Top 40 in Review: Simon Mercedes and Carlos Asuaje
- Top 40 Season in Review: Anderson Espinoza and Alex Hassan