A heavier Buchholz won’t be surprised by anything
|02.15.10 at 9:57 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Clay Buchholz made his first appearance on the fields at the Red Sox‘ minor league training facility, throwing a bullpen alongside Jon Lester. It was Buchholz’ seventh bullpen session since he resumed throwing, having also faced live hitters out at University of California-Irvine. (Minor league catcher Mark Wagner, an alumnus of UC Irvine, set up the sessions.)
But the big news in regards to Buchholz was the added poundage the pitcher is carrying around. After pitching at 185 pounds last season, he is tipping the scales at 198, crediting the weight gain to simply eating more.
“I don’t know how long it’s going to stay on with all this heat and humidity and everything,” said Buchholz, who was married in the offseason and took his honeymoon in the Dominican Republic immediately after David Ortiz‘ celebrity golf tournament.
Buchholz also addressed what appears to be a crowded rotation, downplaying the dynamic which would appear to have him vying for the fifth spot along with Tim Wakefield.
“Breaking camp with the big league team would be good for starters. I’m not going to set any goals right now, just go in and make sure I’m ready when the games start and go from there. It’s sort of the same situation as it was last year. You’ve got six guys coming in for five starting spots. It should be another fun spring training,” he said.
“I’ve been through a couple of things throughout my professional career. I wouldn’t be shocked for anything to happen. I’ve got to go at it like it’s a spot to win instead of thinking it’s my spot. Pitch well, and if I do everything like I started doing last year and end up like last year, I think everything will be fine.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston