Red Sox interested in Cuban pitcher
|02.15.10 at 1:27 pm ET|
(Updated: According to a source familiar with the negotiations, the idea that the Red Sox “would soon sign” Maya might not be accurate at this time. There is a good chance that Maya will choose a team that offers a better opportunity to immediately enter its starting rotation.)
According to a source familiar with the situation, the Red Sox are interested in Cuban pitcher Yuniesky Maya but are still in the preliminary stages of negotiations. The Sox have been following Maya’s situation throughout the offseason, seeing the 28-year-old pitcher as a starter who is most likely at the minor league level who could eventually fill into the back-end of a rotation.
Maya was named Cuba’s top right-handed pitcher in both 2009 and ’09 before defecting in the Dominican Republic last September. Red Sox president Larry Lucchino was quoted in the publication Terreno De Pelota as saying the Red Sox were close to a deal with Maya.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins