The battle of the batting cages
|02.18.10 at 8:56 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — On the way to work drove by Mike Greenwell’s Batting Cages once again, but this time did so with a discerning eye. It turns out, there is competition in the Greater Fort Myers area. Over on Route 41 we find another former member of the Red Sox staking claim to the batting cage industry — Julio Zuleta.
Zuleta, a journeyman slugger who showed tremendous power potential, was in the Red Sox’ camp in 2003, having slugged his way all over the minors, Japan, and eventually the Mexican League. (Some compared him to the character in “Major League” Pedro Serrano when Zuleta was with the Sox.) He ended up playing 79 major league games, but did hit a combined 135 homers between the minors and Japan in his pro career.
It is just one of the items adding intrigue to the local scene, with another coming courtesy the Calusa Nature Center (who else?). The feature event this time around: The Venomous Snake Experience. I’m thinking it coincides with the Fort Myers ambulance races.
As for the drive to work this morning, it was undeniably highlighted by our man Alex Speier insisting that Thomas Edison had a history with LSD, and trying to find proof on Google. Alex was, after all, the only media member to feel obligated to visit the Thomas Edison Home, where he learned that the inventor had a huge role in developing the rubber for tank treads.
WEEI.com … always educating ourselves.
As for baseball today, it will be the first instance of the clubhouse opening for the media with that access coming after workouts later this morning. The minor leaguers have moved back over to City of Palms Park, leaving Alex scrambling for his “Minor Developments” feature in the Report From the Fort.
Be back later with more video and reports, including the endless insight from the latest WEEI.com contributor to burst on the scene, Lou Merloni.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Shawaryn strikes out nine as Drive cruise
- Minor Notes: Workman dominant in PawSox bullpen
- The Write-Up: Jalen Beeks
- Cup of Coffee: Olt leads Sea Dogs to walkoff win
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks tosses complete-game shutout
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Victor Garcia
- Cup of Coffee: Ockimey homers twice, Salem sweeps twin bill
- The Write-Up: Teddy Stankiewicz
- System Restart '17: Catcher