The battle of the batting cages
|02.18.10 at 8:56 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — On the way to work drove by Mike Greenwell’s Batting Cages once again, but this time did so with a discerning eye. It turns out, there is competition in the Greater Fort Myers area. Over on Route 41 we find another former member of the Red Sox staking claim to the batting cage industry — Julio Zuleta.
Zuleta, a journeyman slugger who showed tremendous power potential, was in the Red Sox’ camp in 2003, having slugged his way all over the minors, Japan, and eventually the Mexican League. (Some compared him to the character in “Major League” Pedro Serrano when Zuleta was with the Sox.) He ended up playing 79 major league games, but did hit a combined 135 homers between the minors and Japan in his pro career.
It is just one of the items adding intrigue to the local scene, with another coming courtesy the Calusa Nature Center (who else?). The feature event this time around: The Venomous Snake Experience. I’m thinking it coincides with the Fort Myers ambulance races.
As for the drive to work this morning, it was undeniably highlighted by our man Alex Speier insisting that Thomas Edison had a history with LSD, and trying to find proof on Google. Alex was, after all, the only media member to feel obligated to visit the Thomas Edison Home, where he learned that the inventor had a huge role in developing the rubber for tank treads.
WEEI.com … always educating ourselves.
As for baseball today, it will be the first instance of the clubhouse opening for the media with that access coming after workouts later this morning. The minor leaguers have moved back over to City of Palms Park, leaving Alex scrambling for his “Minor Developments” feature in the Report From the Fort.
Be back later with more video and reports, including the endless insight from the latest WEEI.com contributor to burst on the scene, Lou Merloni.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Pawtucket takes game one of Governor's Cup
- Rusney Castillo flashes exciting potential in Triple-A debut
- Barnes promoted to Boston
- The Write-Up: Matt Barnes
- Weekly Notes: Playoff baseball begins for affiliates, Castillo continues ascent
- Cup of Coffee: Portland's season comes to an end
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #63: Just Sayin' Hi
- Cup of Coffee: Portland falls, forces Game Five
- Cup of Coffee: PawSox advance to International League finals
- Cup of Coffee: Cecchini and Barnes lead PawSox to 2-0 series edge