The battle of the batting cages
|02.18.10 at 8:56 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — On the way to work drove by Mike Greenwell’s Batting Cages once again, but this time did so with a discerning eye. It turns out, there is competition in the Greater Fort Myers area. Over on Route 41 we find another former member of the Red Sox staking claim to the batting cage industry — Julio Zuleta.
Zuleta, a journeyman slugger who showed tremendous power potential, was in the Red Sox’ camp in 2003, having slugged his way all over the minors, Japan, and eventually the Mexican League. (Some compared him to the character in “Major League” Pedro Serrano when Zuleta was with the Sox.) He ended up playing 79 major league games, but did hit a combined 135 homers between the minors and Japan in his pro career.
It is just one of the items adding intrigue to the local scene, with another coming courtesy the Calusa Nature Center (who else?). The feature event this time around: The Venomous Snake Experience. I’m thinking it coincides with the Fort Myers ambulance races.
As for the drive to work this morning, it was undeniably highlighted by our man Alex Speier insisting that Thomas Edison had a history with LSD, and trying to find proof on Google. Alex was, after all, the only media member to feel obligated to visit the Thomas Edison Home, where he learned that the inventor had a huge role in developing the rubber for tank treads.
WEEI.com … always educating ourselves.
As for baseball today, it will be the first instance of the clubhouse opening for the media with that access coming after workouts later this morning. The minor leaguers have moved back over to City of Palms Park, leaving Alex scrambling for his “Minor Developments” feature in the Report From the Fort.
Be back later with more video and reports, including the endless insight from the latest WEEI.com contributor to burst on the scene, Lou Merloni.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington