The battle of the batting cages
|02.18.10 at 8:56 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — On the way to work drove by Mike Greenwell’s Batting Cages once again, but this time did so with a discerning eye. It turns out, there is competition in the Greater Fort Myers area. Over on Route 41 we find another former member of the Red Sox staking claim to the batting cage industry — Julio Zuleta.
Zuleta, a journeyman slugger who showed tremendous power potential, was in the Red Sox’ camp in 2003, having slugged his way all over the minors, Japan, and eventually the Mexican League. (Some compared him to the character in “Major League” Pedro Serrano when Zuleta was with the Sox.) He ended up playing 79 major league games, but did hit a combined 135 homers between the minors and Japan in his pro career.
It is just one of the items adding intrigue to the local scene, with another coming courtesy the Calusa Nature Center (who else?). The feature event this time around: The Venomous Snake Experience. I’m thinking it coincides with the Fort Myers ambulance races.
As for the drive to work this morning, it was undeniably highlighted by our man Alex Speier insisting that Thomas Edison had a history with LSD, and trying to find proof on Google. Alex was, after all, the only media member to feel obligated to visit the Thomas Edison Home, where he learned that the inventor had a huge role in developing the rubber for tank treads.
WEEI.com … always educating ourselves.
As for baseball today, it will be the first instance of the clubhouse opening for the media with that access coming after workouts later this morning. The minor leaguers have moved back over to City of Palms Park, leaving Alex scrambling for his “Minor Developments” feature in the Report From the Fort.
Be back later with more video and reports, including the endless insight from the latest WEEI.com contributor to burst on the scene, Lou Merloni.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings