Lester: Re-sign Beckett
|02.19.10 at 3:25 pm ET|
“I think it would be a huge loss for this organization for him not to come back, obviously, on the field, a lot, too,” Lester said. “But definitely in the clubhouse would be a guy missed in there.”
Beckett is in the final year of his four-year contract with the Red Sox, earning $12 million in 2010. Lester played catch with Beckett and John Lackey and then all three took part in conditioning drills for pitchers and catchers at the team’s minor league complex.
Skipper Terry Francona said the team is fully aware of the importance of having Beckett as the leader of the pitching staff as he enters his fifth season in Boston.
“Beckett is important to a lot of people in there,” added manager Terry Francona. “We let him know that today. He is the leader of that staff. He’s earned that respect and there’s a lot that comes with it. People look up to him. I think he’s proud of that. He should be.”
Francona was then asked if he had any fears that Beckett would be in the least distracted by his contract situation.
“Zero, zero,” Francona said. “I just know how he approaches things. I know how Theo [Epstein] approaches things. I’ve heard their communication and it’s not a concern.”
For video highlights from Lester’s press conference, including discussions of his own health and the reason why he has no regrets about signing a six-year, $30 million deal even after watching Felix Hernandez and Justin Verlander sign much more sizable pacts this offseason, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Couch leads PawSox to Series win
- Cup of Coffee: Owens struggles, pushing PawSox to the brink
- Cup of Coffee: Pawtucket drops game two in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Pawtucket takes game one of Governor's Cup
- Rusney Castillo flashes exciting potential in Triple-A debut
- Barnes promoted to Boston
- The Write-Up: Matt Barnes
- Weekly Notes: Playoff baseball begins for affiliates, Castillo continues ascent
- Cup of Coffee: Portland's season comes to an end
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #63: Just Sayin' Hi