Lester: Re-sign Beckett
|02.19.10 at 3:25 pm ET|
“I think it would be a huge loss for this organization for him not to come back, obviously, on the field, a lot, too,” Lester said. “But definitely in the clubhouse would be a guy missed in there.”
Beckett is in the final year of his four-year contract with the Red Sox, earning $12 million in 2010. Lester played catch with Beckett and John Lackey and then all three took part in conditioning drills for pitchers and catchers at the team’s minor league complex.
Skipper Terry Francona said the team is fully aware of the importance of having Beckett as the leader of the pitching staff as he enters his fifth season in Boston.
“Beckett is important to a lot of people in there,” added manager Terry Francona. “We let him know that today. He is the leader of that staff. He’s earned that respect and there’s a lot that comes with it. People look up to him. I think he’s proud of that. He should be.”
Francona was then asked if he had any fears that Beckett would be in the least distracted by his contract situation.
“Zero, zero,” Francona said. “I just know how he approaches things. I know how Theo [Epstein] approaches things. I’ve heard their communication and it’s not a concern.”
For video highlights from Lester’s press conference, including discussions of his own health and the reason why he has no regrets about signing a six-year, $30 million deal even after watching Felix Hernandez and Justin Verlander sign much more sizable pacts this offseason, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg