Cameron taking it slow with groin injury
|02.28.10 at 1:37 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Fifteen seasons in the major leagues has taught Mike Cameron to approach the last day of February markedly different than a few months down the road.
Cameron cut his workout short Sunday, battling a sore left groin. Both the 37-year-old outfielder and his manager pointed to the fact that taking it slow at this stage in the game was the wisest course of action, which is why Sox skipper Terry Francona said Cameron was doubtful for the team’s doubleheader against Northeastern and Boston College on Wednesday.
“It was kind of windy out there, when I got on the bike this morning, got stretched out this morning, it just wasn’t getting loose quite the way I wanted to. I guess this is the first sign of me getting a little bit older. Just having to listen to the body a little bit,” Cameron said.
“I’ll be fine. If I had to play a game I could play a game. I just didn’t want to push it with the body just starting to get shocked into this, starting to do a lot. I didn’t want to get too far behind, get tired, and really hurt something. It’s just kind of precautionary, jump on things quickly. It’s good to sit back and let the body catch up to the mind and listen to it for a change.”
Cameron said he previously hasn’t experienced problems with his groin muscle, or a lot of leg injuries in general, although he did have to miss time in 2009 with a hamstring problem.
“At this point it’s just kind of listening to the body. It tells me I can’t really force it. It wasn’t going to do any good to force it,” the outfielder said. “We’ve been doing a lot of running the last four or five days. Some guys’ bodies respond different. It does me no good to go out here and prove I can be an iron man on Feb. 28.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando