Magadan: Big difference in Ortiz
|02.28.10 at 8:04 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — David Ortiz spoke recently about the difference he feels this year, having started hitting as early as Jan. 2 after the previous offseason in which his wrist had limited any pre-spring training swinging.
Ortiz isn’t alone in seeing the benefits of the added preparation. Red Sox hitting coach Dave Magadan has noticed a marked difference in the slugger’s swing compared to last year at this time.
“No question about it,” Magadan said.
“It’s still early in the spring, but for the most part he’s a long way from where he was last spring. Prior to the WBC he came in and … for me when I see David hit he has great hands. When he came in last spring there was a lot of body. There was a lot of gearing up to try and generate bat speed and to me that’s not him. When he’s looking handsy at the plate, and inside the ball, and driving it the other way, that’s when he’s on his game. When he’s using a lot of body trying to generate his bat speed, to me that makes him longer and he loses driving the ball to the opposite field. He looks right now like he started to look at the end of last season.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash