Red Sox get ready for games
|03.02.10 at 12:17 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — The current buzz of camp is that Eri Yoshida, the knuckleball-throwing Japanese schoolgirl, is out working in the field with Tim Wakefield. The 18-year-old Yoshida also watched with some fascination as Wakefield threw a bullpen session earlier this morning.
Beyond that, it’s a day for the Red Sox to pack up their belongings at the Red Sox minor league training complex to head up Edison Ave. and move into City of Palms Park. A few notes from the big league camp’s last day on the sprawling fields:
–Manager Terry Francona said that the time at the minor league facility has gone smoothly, been well organized, and featured few surprises. He’s looking forward to games.
–Francona suggested that Lars Anderson looks like he’s “better situated to have some success” this year, saying that the first baseman looks more comfortable on the fields, rather than looking somewhat overwhelmed by constant scrutiny. “I think it’s his time to start being a player,” said Francona.
–While the Sox do not view JD Drew as a platoon player, they do typically steer his rest days towards games where a left-hander is on the mound. That being the case, the primary player with whom he would seem likely to platoon is the right-handed Bill Hall, who will get some time in right field this spring. The team does not envisioning starting Jeremy Hermida in Drew’s place to face lefties. Nor does the team plan to have Mike Cameron move to right from centerfield on days when Drew is out. Cameron will remain in center as a starter.
—Mike Lowell was scheduled to take batting practice on Tuesday, but rain forced him to hit in the cage. He will hit outside on Wednesday.
–Mike Cameron, after tweaking his groin, will enter games no earlier than Friday, and even that timetable might be aggressive. “He’d have to say he’s feeling great,” said Francona. Still, Cameron and the team think that the tweak was minor. “It’s not an issue,” said Francona.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive
- Red Sox recall Light and Owens for Sunday night tilt