Red Sox get ready for games
|03.02.10 at 12:17 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — The current buzz of camp is that Eri Yoshida, the knuckleball-throwing Japanese schoolgirl, is out working in the field with Tim Wakefield. The 18-year-old Yoshida also watched with some fascination as Wakefield threw a bullpen session earlier this morning.
Beyond that, it’s a day for the Red Sox to pack up their belongings at the Red Sox minor league training complex to head up Edison Ave. and move into City of Palms Park. A few notes from the big league camp’s last day on the sprawling fields:
–Manager Terry Francona said that the time at the minor league facility has gone smoothly, been well organized, and featured few surprises. He’s looking forward to games.
–Francona suggested that Lars Anderson looks like he’s “better situated to have some success” this year, saying that the first baseman looks more comfortable on the fields, rather than looking somewhat overwhelmed by constant scrutiny. “I think it’s his time to start being a player,” said Francona.
–While the Sox do not view JD Drew as a platoon player, they do typically steer his rest days towards games where a left-hander is on the mound. That being the case, the primary player with whom he would seem likely to platoon is the right-handed Bill Hall, who will get some time in right field this spring. The team does not envisioning starting Jeremy Hermida in Drew’s place to face lefties. Nor does the team plan to have Mike Cameron move to right from centerfield on days when Drew is out. Cameron will remain in center as a starter.
—Mike Lowell was scheduled to take batting practice on Tuesday, but rain forced him to hit in the cage. He will hit outside on Wednesday.
–Mike Cameron, after tweaking his groin, will enter games no earlier than Friday, and even that timetable might be aggressive. “He’d have to say he’s feeling great,” said Francona. Still, Cameron and the team think that the tweak was minor. “It’s not an issue,” said Francona.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven